A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Air conditioning

Post 1

C Hawke

Recently I stayed in an alleged 4 Star hotel with sealed windows and a not brilliant air con. The air con had two dials temperature and fan speed.

Here's the question, in order to cool the room down the best should I have selected a high speed ie to mix the air up more, or a slow speed, thereby allowing the air passing the cooling bits to get colder, or does it not matter as the energy input is the same??

On the subject of Hotels, why can no hotel in the world make good toast? Why are cooked breakfast called English breakfasts? Are they called English breakfasts the world over or are they called Latvian breakfasts or sebo-croat breakfasts elsewhere???

Many questions, along with why am I online at 7:30 am instead of going to work.

Chris


Air conditioning

Post 2

E'dalethni II

You are right about the energy output, but a higher fan speed will give you more even cooling of the room, along with a slight breeze if you sit in the right spot, which will make it seem cooler.

I have never had an 'English' breakfast, as far as I know, so I can't help you there.


Air conditioning/English Breakfasts

Post 3

Researcher 107148

As an English person I would understand the term "English Breakfast" to mean a cooked breakfast i.e. bacon, eggs, sausage, etc. as opposed to a "Continental Breakfast" that is, croissants and or rolls with jam (sweet things) and coffee in France and cheese and cold ham and bread rolls in Holland. I must add that I have had plenty of "English Breakfasts" in Canada, but these sometimes retain a colonial flavour by the use of steaks - usually huge - instead of bacon.

Fergy


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more