A Conversation for Librarians

Well it's a bit brutal, don't you think?

Post 1

Fenchurch M. Mercury

I mean it works as a textbook generalisation, which I guess would be the only way to do it (generalising), but almost all the librarians I know don't fit the mold (or doing a good job hiding it). Most of the people I work with are in their 20's or early thirties, and seem happy and friendly enough.

I do agree with the desire to do other things...I'd be damned if I stay there, and I'm sure they regret choosing that as a career... not that their entirely unhappy with it, just... it's not very exciting, I guess. Being able to help yet another person find the biography of Leo DiCaprio isn't exactly fulfilling.

I think the frustration concerning lack of information has been greatly reduced by the internet and computers in general, where while actual useful information is still fairly sparse (compared to ideals), most questions can be answered. I had a discussion with the branch librarian the other day, and he does have much less problems concerning materials due to computers. There are also CDROM's which can store massive amounts of information and are readily available.

So while I tend to disagree with a bit of it, I'm basing it on personal knowledge, and I'm sure you would know more about it than I. The writing itself if very good, and I like the quiet humour... ah yes, the plight of the unlaiden (I love that word) librarian. Good thing I'm just shelving girl.


Well it's a bit brutal, don't you think?

Post 2

Hypoman

Thanks for your comments, Fenchurch. Yes, I agree that it is a bit brutal, but I'm basing it partly on other articles in the 'Guide about librarians, which have been equally (in fact probably more) so. I also subscribe to the general principle of "cruel to be kind" - at least in writing about what I do.

The negativity of the article is the biggest reason why I haven't submitted it. I'm not sure what I can do to raise the tone, though. Any suggestions? I have tidies it up a bit in response to your comments, but it could still use SOMETHING...


Well it's a bit brutal, don't you think?

Post 3

Archangel Tweetie (01/06/02...)

I think maybe you should take a look at my guide entry on librarians as it provides the shiny happy side to the deal. Although not a librarian I am a library prefect at high school and think its a grea, wonderful thing to do. After all you get to be surrounded by books all day long. How bad could it be?


Well it's a bit brutal, don't you think?

Post 4

The Cow

Oh no, not another one!

I was 'head of the sixth form library team' at school, which basically meant doing librarian-type stuff, as well as getting lots of privilages (eg: getting to go on the computer more than anyone else (if only 'cos I near enough lived there) ), and stuff.

I'm so annoyed I passed over that job at Chester College!


Well it's a bit brutal, don't you think?

Post 5

Archangel Tweetie (01/06/02...)

*grins*
Well, we don't have a leader type person, but I'm pretty darn good smiley - winkeye
Although, because our school is populated with many... many morons, it's mainly keeping an eye on the computers, rather than checking out books for anyone smiley - winkeye


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more