A Conversation for (old version) The Even Deeper Meaning of Liff

complaint

Post 1

Dave Rogers

er, 'scuse me, I have a complaint ...

WHY is this page now called "The Even Deeper Meaning of Liff BY DOUGLAS ADAMS AND JOHN LLOYD" ?!!! It was written by Wingpig, myself and others! And further down the page there is a link to Amazon books for "The EVEN deeper meaning of Liff"!! Surely they mean "The deeper meaning of liff"?

I've already notified the page editor, but I thought I'd throw this bit in as well so that Wingpig and others see it.

Will the powers-that-be please correct these errors as soon as possible. Thanks.


complaint

Post 2

World Service Memoryshare team

Hi JDR,

Thanks for letting us know about the changes: the title change and Amazon links got left in, because I think we were trying to standardise the titles in the books section and got carried away. We mistook your entry for one on the actual book 'The Deeper Meaning of Liff' - which sort of raises the question - should this entry be in the Edited Guide? As it's really a humorous fictional piece rather than a factual one. Our guidelines for writing entries have changed since this piece was first put up and this isn't the sort of thing that is now going onto the front page...

Anna


complaint

Post 3

Dave Rogers

Well, it's *partly* factual, in that most of the Liff-isms are about real-life objects or situations, but as you say, many are entirely fictitious, and of course the pairing-up with place-names is not at all factual, being decided entirely at the whim of the writer. I still think it's an article that deserves to be easily accessible in some way ... I mean, people do seem to enjoy it ... but if it goes, it goes. I'll be reorganising my pages sometime soon, putting all my Liff stuff from various separate lumps into one big alphabeticised lump. The resulting page would be quite large ... is there any limit to page-size? Would it be best to split it up?

Dave Rogers


complaint

Post 4

World Service Memoryshare team

Hi JDR,

Cool stuff smiley - smiley Technically there's no limit to page size, but we've found that if a page is really, really long, Researchers are less likely to read it - sections or separate pages are much easier to get through...


complaint

Post 5

wingpig

Gahh. See what happens when you get a job and have to stop spending all day on a site?
It'd be good if we could at least get at the page somehow, if only to add it as a forum entry; it'll thus be counted as personal views in case The Moderators like it not. Hmmm. Maybe we could just persude Messrs Adams and Lloyd to include them in the Wider Meaning of Liff, should it ever some out.
Evening, JDR. Nice to see you continue Liff-isms. Another reason the page needs to be reinstated in some way is to allow them all to be seen and thus ensure no duplicates are created.
Keep it up.


complaint

Post 6

World Service Memoryshare team

Wow wingpig, haven't seen you around for ages! Good to hear from you smiley - smiley The moderators will get to all pending entries eventually, they're doing the newer ones first and are working backwards...



complaint

Post 7

Dave Rogers

Just looked back in after a very long absence ... and still the mistakes go on ... the Liff page now reads;

Written and Researched by:
wingpig
Edited by:
JDR

Which is completely wrong!!!
It was actually written by me (jdr) and Wingpig, and was edited by someone else.

I've now removed all of my Liff stuff from my own pages, november 2001.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more