A Conversation for Where are all the gentlemen?

gentlemen around

Post 1

Louis

Yes there are gentlemen around they are just somewhat elusive. Perhaps you should look in other places to find them. A pub is not the normal turf of the gentleman. You would have much better luck perhaps in searching in libraries, book stores, and other such enlightened locales. As a gentleman, I have been told, I tend to not frequent pubs and such because of the variety of unruly types. I occasionaly frequent small local taverns that cater to smaller bases of clientelle. I would say go to the more cozy homy pubs and perhaps you could catch one of the nicer gentlemen on one of their rare excursions.
I hear it from women all the time as they talk to me, somehow I am always a confidant. "I just want a nice guy/gentleman why can't I find one?" After apraising their recent male companions I simply laugh to myself and say "yeah nice guys are hard to find" Uttering to myself "if you REALY wanted to find one he's right in front of your bloody face and you would realize that" If I could have your opinion on why they always look right past me and continue to date jerks and loosers, complaining to me the whole time. I would appreciate the comentary from one and all.


gentlemen around

Post 2

Unreach

I am in full concurrence with Louis' findings. I consider myself a gentleman, however I have the opposite problem. I can't seem to find women who enjoy the "gentleman" state of mind -- lately it seems they go for the men who take a severe liking to being a jerk. Just my $.02.


gentlemen around

Post 3

Adz

I also concur. This is indeed the ultimate truism.
Here's the problem for you young lasses though.
Your "Nice Guy" (isn't that a despisable term, no man ever wants to be called that, even if he is a nice guy) is probably right under your nose... but you haven't noticed him. Why is that you wonder?
Here's the rub.
"Nice Guys" tend to be a whole lot less exciting that than your "Rebellious Bastard". You sit and have coffee with your "Nice Guy", isn't he the nicest fellow, so warm and wonderful. But what are you doing? You're eyeing up the fellow next to him in the tight white tee that is obviously posing in front of you and dropping hints about how exciting he is, all the time scheming just how hes going to land you in the sack. You're overwelmed by the new excitement and adventure... but what was that nice guy just saying to you? Never mind, just toss your hair in the exciting bastards direction and nod your head to your nice young man.
"Nice Guys" tend to be introverted and shy. A great person to cuddle on the couch on a Friday night in front of an old movie. You can talk to him, hes the sensitive type that will understand you, heck maybe even try to empathise with you. He'll fix you breakfast in bed, maybe even light some candles for your bath for two.
Still all this goes out the door when a dark mysterious stranger who is about to 'do some aid work in Tibet' -read- 'story to get you into the sack' or some-such-like.
I try not to become to cynical and pessimistic about the whole affair, but the way I see it (and correct me if I'm wrong, maybe I'm not meeting the right kinds of women) Women just seem to prefer the excitement of the chase and are really interested in that at all costs. They figure they can change him from being that cheating bastard somehow, because he makes her feel special. In essense, I think they think its easier to find an exciting guy who will throw her hormones into the wind and send her flying, yet fix his faults later to a gentleman who is no challenge to change but cannot be taught (by herself) to be exciting.
Its all about the fire baby. Yeah.

Not all is lost though. I figure there are many females left with the womanly settle-down instincts yet. Finding them is... another story. If they ever get to writing their list of pros and cons about the two types of aforementioned gentleman/jerk then we can be assured of finding what we seek.
Why do I always get a headache when I think about this sort of stuff?
Just because you're a gentleman, doesn't mean we can't be exciting I suppose.
And if we get so desperate to find love in our hearts, we can always become our favourite jerk who's never going to care. Oh darn. Thats not going to work is it?

Just when you thought this was going to be one of your know-everything-Monday's here I am all confused again. Curses.


gentlemen around

Post 4

Louis

You see this is ammusing and quite refreshing, yes there are actualy men that agree with my oringinal assesment. The funny thing is I am not all that tame and or boring and am a gentleman. I generaly am considered to be a rebel. Of course that might just be because I was raised very strictly in a very religious home and what is the norm to everyone else in the normal non conformist world they think smacks of damnation and hellfire. I have also theorized that women like the jerks because they know what to expect and don't have the feeling of uncertainty that a gentleman leaves them with. Lets face it if you expect him to be a cheating lying bastard when he performs they go Oh, oh well. Where as with "nice guys" they may get attached or they could get to like them and then get dumped or some such. It is much safer to get what you expect and play to your low self-esteem I would guess. "Tis a shame," says I tis a shame because we would genuinly actualy make an attempt at caring for and respecting these ladies.


Walk this way.....

Post 5

country girl

To drop a feminine point of view into the pot.....

I would love to meet a 'gentleman'> An honest, sincere, affectionate and charming guy to just 'be' with. But they are so hard (ie. impossible) to find. If they exist, they are all taken!

It is true that women often go for the bad guy [sigh] but at least when he no longer goes all-out to impress you, you still have some excitement. When your 'romantic' quiet, introverted guy stops paying you attention, you have nothing. Mind you, that's just a theory.

But if I could choose between 'romance' and 'excitement', I would personally go for romance. But, which lasts longer? From what I hear, 'gentlemen' don't stay that way for long either. smiley - sadface


Walk this way.....

Post 6

Louis

Well appologies all for the tardiness of this reply however I have been working the Early Grave shift (I.E. 14 hours a day) Well gentlemaen generaly start out ok and can turn due to some of the following causes. The aren't getting enough attention. Yes I know if I get ignored for too long I tend to get iritated and feel like I am in a one ended relationship. Then they clamp up cause they feel put out and all. Second women have to be carefull how they deal with and react to the "nice Guy" Often women treat the nice guy like any other male and then the nice guy gets kind of irked. Women unfortunately are not always the nicest of people to men, Sometimes completley merited of course. Thirdly women seem to flip out when a guy gets too, intimate and their words not mine "clingy" the eternal complaint of women about men's non-commital has come full circle it seems. SOOO women I suppose need to modify their behavior and men the nice ones need to be more concise about what they are about, as well as more picky about women. Lets face it if a nice guy gets kicked around by not very nice women a couple too many times because he is a nice guy, of course he is going to change how he is.. Lets face it other women ruin nice guys for the ladies realy looking for "good guys" to begin with.


Walk this way.....

Post 7

Ormondroyd

Thinking back to Vikinglady's article, I'd just like to say that I love watching soccer and drinking beer but am also definitely a big softie. I wonder if Vikinglady would accept me if I got her some flowers on my way home from the match? smiley - winkeye


Walk this way.....

Post 8

Louis

MMMM, beer...er rather flowers sound nice. I was just thinking about beer, haven't had one in uhmm 6 months. Cider doesn't count. But certainly think that she would appreciate the gesture, thats very nice of you. As to soccer well here in the states it hasn't realy caught on too much sadly. I used to play alot of pickup no rules games, ah nastalgia. Anyways take care all. And have faith men.. there is some eventual hope of some sort out there. Hopefully all the pretentious bastards will die from hair gel that induces cancer(hmm looks at chemistry books closer). LOL later, good luck. Oh wait one last note for the ladies. That guy that is the stallion sort, remember he is target to other women and will not stay around long, the only thing he may leave you with is a disease. Just a warning


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Where are all the gentlemen?

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more