A Conversation for Small Screen Surfin'

Oh Dear!

Post 1

Bez (arguaby the finest figure of a man ever found wearing Bez's underwear) <underpants>

Don't forget the fact that the Brits all looked like the offspring of 'Stig-of-the-dump' and some kind of ancient bag-lady. And of course they must all be smothered in mud, people in the past liked getting muddy, didn't they?

All in all about as much accuracy as 'Carry on Cleo' but without the laughs.


Oh Dear!

Post 2

[...]

I don't know, the fact that Claudius looked lke my old German teacher was quite amusing, but I doubt anybody would get that!


Oh Dear!

Post 3

Kerr_Avon - hunting stray apostrophes and gutting poorly parsed sentences

>cut a man's head of with

Off with, surely?

And yes, it was truely dire. I'm glad I'm not the only one you kept thinking of Stig of the Dump smiley - laugh

smiley - ale


Oh Dear!

Post 4

[...]

Harass Shazz about spelling mistakes!


Oh Dear!

Post 5

Post Team

Oh dear indeed... me thinks the order to 'Harass Shazz' is a bit naughty... whilst she is the head honcho, big cheese, numero uno etc. around here, she is not the only one who does editing...

Me can safely put my paw up and admit to editing your work HPB... and whilst it is my job to try to sort out all spelling mistakes, grammar, punctuation gaffs... and generally clean up and make workable anything that comes our way... Me thinks the author of the piece should take just a little responsibility for any mistakes found within... because if the mistakes weren't there in the beginning then they wouldn't be missed occasionally and let loose on the reading public...

Saying that... immediately a mistake in the Post has been found and pointed out we sort it out without fuss... mistakes in life do happen... and there is absolutely no need to harass anyone about anything...

Greebs..xx


Oh Dear!

Post 6

[...]

That was in fact an attempt at humour.

When I 'said' harass I just meant go see her.

Presumably as the big cheese she would pass info down to their respective persons.

*sigh*

Oh and I love the attempt to turn this on me! I don't have a spell checker!


Oh Dear!

Post 7

Post Team

FYI HPB - I do, but it is only a Dutch one... so I have to use the old-fashioned way of looking things up in Dictionaries. smiley - winkeye

To be honest, although basically a good idea, spell-checkers can only spot obvious 'letter order' mistakes and are notoriously bad at spotting typographical errors such as the difference between to/too/two, of/off, so/sew, for/fore/four, they're/there/their etc etc.
I believe that I have found instances of every one of these in this week's edits. smiley - winkeye

We do try our best and always, as Greebo says, change errors as soon as they are noticed by us or pointed out to us.

So, no worries about letting us know these things - but I am harassed enough so perhaps an 'I'm sure once the Post Team are aware they'll change it' would be kinder to our health. smiley - oksmiley - biggrin

shazz smiley - thepost


Oh Dear!

Post 8

Post Team

Hi HPB... maybe harass wasn't such a good word to use in an humour context...with how busy Shazz is... the last thing she needs is someone encouraging others to complain to her about things that are always fixed quickly after the first time the problem is spotted...

As to 'turning this' onto you... me did no such thing... me only pointed out that for a mistake to pass through the net... it had to of been in the original piece written... So therefore it should be part responsibility of the author... No where in my reply did me state that it was your fault... me just pointed out that mistakes from the original text can be missed... so if the mistakes weren't there in the first place... etc.. etc...

As to not having a spell checker... me does... but me also has to hand dictionaries and things... which can be of great use in a spelling situation... ~grin~... and your piece was actually run through a spell checker... and it missed the mistake as well... so there you go... my spell checker is at fault, me is at fault... and you are at fault...

Thank goodness KerrAvon is around to keep us all on the straight and narrow...

By the way... maybe in future when you are being humorous... it might be wise to put some sort of smiley along with your words to show your intention... Straight words are very open to interpretation... and may be read as something entirely different from how you meant them... ~grin~

Greebs..xx


Oh Dear!

Post 9

[...]

Well the point of a Post version is one that has been cleaned up isn't it?

I'm void of blame unless you're taking straight conversions!


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Small Screen Surfin'

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more