A Conversation for Jazz - Very Bad, Really

You must be joking...

Post 1

bawimeko

...because "I don't like jazz" is like saying "I don't like paintings" or "I don't like weather".
I'm not the greatest jazz-lover myself, so atonal, experimental freejazz is one of the most horrible 'music' I ever heard, the same goes for the trippy Jazz-rock that was made in the early '70s...
On the other hand you could have the subtle and harmonious Kind of Blue by Mr. Davis, some blues- and gospel infected stuff by Charles Mingus and gorgeous melodies by Duke Ellington. Even for rock lovers there's (for example) the Radiohead-infused sound of the Esbjorn Svensson Trio...
I just guess you've never even tried!


You must be joking...

Post 2

iyasur

Jazz has many different styles so its completely false to say that all jazz is competitive noise in which the trumpeter with the highest range wins. Around the late 40's a style of jazz known as bop developed, (the famous players of bop are Charlie Parker, or Byrd, and Dizzy Gellispie, who played together), in which there are very complex and fast and high slightly annoying rhythms. But you can hardly say that Bill Evans, Duke Ellington, Louis Armstrong, Sonnny Rollins, Miles Davis, and more played the exactly the same way. Thats like saying you don't like classical music because Mozart is just a ton of major chords that sound the same, or the you don't like musicals because the musical Les Miserables is just a ton of E minor chords over and over again. The swing band era of jazz doesn't sound like the way you describe ALL jazz and neither does Miles Davis and John Coltrane's recordings for Columbia Records. I think that it is your right not to like jazz but you don't have to publish something that you obviously haven't researched.


Key: Complain about this post

You must be joking...

More Conversations for Jazz - Very Bad, Really

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more