A Conversation for Miscellaneous Chat

The H2G2 Intergalactic Critter Thread

Post 1

WyattVenson

Hey, fellas! I've just created this thread for us to discuss our household companions. I own a ferret named Jake. Yeah, I know, it’s an unusual pet to have, but I’m always fascinated by this type of critter. He’s a fun-loving fuzzball, usually, plays and hangs out in his comfortable ferret nation cage, munch on cooked eggs and meat (that’s his staple diet), and even cuddles with my wife during Netflix hours (a furry rivalry, I see). I hope to own more than one someday, but for now, it’s just Jake and me for more fun-filled years. How about you guys? What four (or many) legged creatures do you own?


The H2G2 Intergalactic Critter Thread

Post 2

Caiman raptor elk - Inside big box, thinking.

We currently have one remaining pet rat, Yoko. She's four years old and still going, outliving her sisters by 1,5 year. We neffer expected that, because she was the weakest when young. Yoko is a dumbo type (low ears) with Japanese colouring (black frontside and back striping, white sides). She once escaped and was on the loose for three days. After this experience she decided she preferred to be left alone. We used to have up to 27 rats at a time (all females) but plan to stop after this last one dies. (otherwise we wouldn't have had just the one)

With larger groups, it is interesting to see the hierarchy develop. I suspect rats invented Judo before humans did.


The H2G2 Intergalactic Critter Thread

Post 3

Caiman raptor elk - Inside big box, thinking.

neffer? never!


The H2G2 Intergalactic Critter Thread

Post 4

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I play the involuntary host to a neverending series of smiley - mousesmiley - mouse. I've tried all kinds of traps and poisoned bait, etc. I've even put sachets of peppermint in places where they might enter the house, to deter them. No matter, they keep showing up as soon as I get rid of the last one.


The H2G2 Intergalactic Critter Thread

Post 5

Caiman raptor elk - Inside big box, thinking.

We used to have that every year. In autumn, they came in through the open garden doors. In winter they played with our mousetraps (raisins worked best for the mice we had (doesn't go stale like cheese or melt like chocolate). In spring the leftover mice went back out into the garden. In winter it was not unusual to catch one mouse a day. I suppose that the fact that we had a 1930's house made it more accomodating for mice. Lots of places to hide.


The H2G2 Intergalactic Critter Thread

Post 6

Caiman raptor elk - Inside big box, thinking.

Yoko is no more. No official critters left for me I'm afraid.


The H2G2 Intergalactic Critter Thread

Post 7

ITIWBS

I had a close encounter with a squirrel that pushed a walnut sized rock off a precipice above above me Tuesday 2 July.

I can but speculate as to its motive, but suspect it missed by intent.


The H2G2 Intergalactic Critter Thread

Post 8

Caiman raptor elk - Inside big box, thinking.

Maybe it was in preparation for independence day? Luckily it missed.


The H2G2 Intergalactic Critter Thread

Post 9

ITIWBS

Actually I think the little beggar was hinting it might appreciate a treat next I visit its picnic area where it hangs out, so I'll oblige and see what it does next.


The H2G2 Intergalactic Critter Thread

Post 10

Caiman raptor elk - Inside big box, thinking.

It could be communicating its preference for rock music


The H2G2 Intergalactic Critter Thread

Post 11

ITIWBS

I don't recall what music if any was playing at the snack bar where I had my first encounter with the squirrel.

I'll be more attentive next time.


The H2G2 Intergalactic Critter Thread

Post 12

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I seem to have one less critter. I took down a box of cereal from a shelf, and found a dead, squashed mouse under it. smiley - yuk


The H2G2 Intergalactic Critter Thread

Post 13

Caiman raptor elk - Inside big box, thinking.

The cereal killer struck again!


The H2G2 Intergalactic Critter Thread

Post 14

Malabarista - now with added pony

My pet fortunately doesn't live in the house. He weighs half a ton and I sit on him sometimes. smiley - pony


The H2G2 Intergalactic Critter Thread

Post 15

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

As soon as the coneflowers bloom in my yard, the bees make haste to make their acquaintance. And while they're here, they also pollinate my beans and squash. I don't consider bees to be pets, but it's fun to see how many different kinds of bees there are.


Removed

Post 16

ninatorres

This post has been removed.


The H2G2 Intergalactic Critter Thread

Post 17

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I have a book called "The bees in your backyard."


The H2G2 Intergalactic Critter Thread

Post 18

Caiman raptor elk - Inside big box, thinking.

Is it filled with Buzzzzzzzz?


The H2G2 Intergalactic Critter Thread

Post 19

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I don't actually need to read it between April and November, but now the actual bees are all sleeping (or dead) for the Winter.

For a minute I thought the subject line for this thread had to do with intergalactic coffee.

(I think my afternoon coffee was too strong smiley - cdouble)


The H2G2 Intergalactic Critter Thread

Post 20

bobstafford

We have one or two cats, Some time ago we found that cats thrive even more if they are not living alone, so the population has slowley grown from 1 to 3 the up to 5, 6 and finally 8.

They are much happier in a larger group there is always someone to talk to or play, groom each other and sleep with.
The collection is 4 British, 2 French, 1 Canada and 1 Australia.
smiley - biggrin


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more