A Conversation for Theme Pubs

Theme Pubs

Post 1

Spy

Whilst the precise nature of the theme may be elusive to the more casual researcher, I can categorically state that the themes adopted are demostrated by the following:

1) Ensure there is little or no seating, as more people per square metre can be packed in if standing, hence boosting profits.
2) Sell characterless beers at exorbitant prices, hence boosting profits.
3) Sell pathetic imitations of foreign foods at similarly high prices, whilst performing the particularly British excruciation of "ingredient substitution" on them (cf Hogshead, Swindon - Winner of the 1999 "No bugger'll notice if we use mayo on the nachos instead of sour cream" Award), hence boosting profits.
4) Stage mock fights on an hourly basis in order that the punters - usually, but not exclusively male - can strut about in some pathetic alpha-male delusion, hence increasing the appeal of the barn, hence boosting profits.

Spot the theme yet?

See also CAMRA


Theme Pubs

Post 2

Rammesses

Ah what a precise precis of the social aspect!

Then again, that precis could be applied to many pubs, theme or otherwise.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Theme Pubs

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more