Theme Pubs

1 Conversation

Theme Pubs are one of those odd oxymorons that slap you in the face on a wet Thursday afternoon. Or at least they do when you're so thirsty and hungry that you'd eat a kebab if you could get one.

Theme Pubs are pubs - this means you can buy alcohol there, drink said alcohol and repeat the process until

  • (a) they throw you out because they want to close,
  • (b) you get carried away on a stretcher because you fell unconsious, or
  • (c) you get bored of the decor/music/company and decide to leave and find another pub, theme or otherwise.

Theme Pubs also have a "Theme" (although the precise theme is not always readily apparent). This means that you'll find the same pub replicated from town to town, with identical decor, menus, music and even bar staff. Themes can range from the dull (mock olde english family pubs - such as Harvesters) to the fashionably eccentric (nouveau-chic, open-plan, over-priced - such as the Slug & Lettuce).

One of the better theme brands is that of Bar Oz, where the tinnies are cheap enough and available in quantity, and the food is served in portions of a size designed to make you salivate and shudder at the same time. (The food there is also usually quite edible)


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A118973

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more