A Conversation for Small Screen Surfin'

Walking with...

Post 1

Catwoman

I didn't see walking with dinousaurs, but I saw WW beasts, and hated the commentary SO much. It was all so overdramatic, 'oh look at this poor little thing it doesn't have a mother and it might die' that was a few million years ago, its entire species is now extinct, and we have to feel sorry for it. Which we do, because we're used to nature programs working our innate sympathy for small fluffy things.

Luckily I had digital and could opt for the 'in-depth' commentary that explained more sensible things like the beast's supposed behaviour and why they think it was like that. Which we don't need to know either, but it's better than tracking the life of an imaginary animal. Maybe it's just cos I'm a smiley - scientist.


Walking with...

Post 2

[...]

It's not an imaginary animal though!

All I was trying to say is that history programmes need to be more 'real'. Not just a picture of, for example, a fossil and saying it did this, and this, and this when it was alive. I want to see it and not just a picture and a bearded anthropologist/archeologist saying it.

You should be glad you never saw Walking with Cavemen... that painfully was bad...


Walking with...

Post 3

Catwoman

The individual is imaginary. A reconstruction is a good thing, but maybe it should just show things that they did, and not try to tell stories. Plus more on why they think it did that, not just 'look what we can do with cgi now'.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Small Screen Surfin'

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more