A Conversation for Googlewhack

Peer Review: A1117658 - Googlewhack

Post 1

DMK

Entry: Googlewhack - A1117658
Author: DMK - U233867

Thats all i have i'm afraid. not like, actually scared. just... well... y'know?


A1117658 - Googlewhack

Post 2

Pinwheel Pearl, GURU, Post Book Reviewer, Muse of Japanese Maples and Owlatron's Thundercat

Okay, firstly, put in a link to the Google website.

And, seeing as you presumably got this from Dave Gorman's latest adventure, you could explain a little about what he did.

Finally, cheers! I was thinking of writing this!smiley - biggrin


A1117658 - Googlewhack

Post 3

DMK

sorted. forgot about dave gorman (doh!), friend of mine told me about them ages ago and i only found out what they were called recently.

DMK


A1117658 - Googlewhack

Post 4

Pinwheel Pearl, GURU, Post Book Reviewer, Muse of Japanese Maples and Owlatron's Thundercat

Hmm...need some help here...

How about an explanation of what panahoehoe and curmudgeon mean, and what website is brought up by it, plus a link to that website.

I'd rephrase the DG bit to explain why he's a googlewhack (because a page on his official website holds a googlewhack).


A1117658 - Googlewhack

Post 5

Demon Drawer

Saw Dave the other day, the man not the show, am waiting for BBC2 to do it in a few months time.


A1117658 - Googlewhack

Post 6

Pinwheel Pearl, GURU, Post Book Reviewer, Muse of Japanese Maples and Owlatron's Thundercat

It looks fun!

Can you help on this one? Or is it pretty much done.

Need a scout....


A1117658 - Googlewhack

Post 7

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

The entry seems a bit thin smiley - erm What else can you think of to flesh it out some? Any idea of where Googlewhacking originated? Are there other variations on the theme? I heard of one where you have to end up with no more than three results, but I can't recall how many words you have to input.

It really needs more content than this to be considered for editing.

smiley - geeksmiley - online2longsmiley - stiffdrinksmiley - hangoversmiley - ok
Scout


A1117658 - Googlewhack

Post 8

Geggs

Right, okay, theres some many thoughts buzzing around my head that I don't really know where to start. So I'm just going to, and you can re-arrange the thoughts as you see fit.

Firstly, this would probably become a better entry once you've seen Dave's show, in which he roamed the world visiting the people that are responsible for googlewhacks. He mentioned in an interview the other day that it was one the Dave Gormans he met a few years ago that started him on this. I'm guessing it's little Dave Gorman number 5. I could believe anything from him.

Given the clear and obvious link to Mr Gorman, you could put in a link to the guide entry on him. It's A857649.

And have you considered joining the h2g2 Dave Gorman Appreciation Club, Society, Fannish Thing at A847712? Always open for new members!

Oh, and one last thing, if you can't get to the stage show, Dave will be writing up his Adventure in a book next year. No word on a TV show yet though.


Geggs (advertising Dave and myself in one breath)


A1117658 - Googlewhack

Post 9

2 of 3

From reading your entry I don't get the game. I still don't know what a googlewhack is . ..
Could be that I don't know who Dave Gorman is . ..

I'd say the game is not explained properly.

Any 2 words?? The two you chose, are they even real words?

how about 'pinacle dungaree'?

May be you needed to give some more examples.

How is Dave Gorman one??

2of3


A1117658 - Googlewhack

Post 10

Geggs

As I understand the game, you can use two complete randomly chosen words. If those two words, when searched for in Google, produce one and only one page, then that page is a Googlewhack.

So, for example, if 'pinacle dungaree' brings up one page on the Google search engine, then that page is a Googlewhack. Unfortunately those two words bring up three pages, there is no Googlewhack there.

Dave is one, in the sense that his site contains a page that is a Googlewhack, though he isn't revealing which two words bring up his page.

Hope that explains a bit.


Geggs


A1117658 - Googlewhack

Post 11

2 of 3

I get it now. Crystal clear.smiley - cheers

So my suggestion to the author is use terms like 'one and only one'. Its redundant but everyone will get it right away . . .

and he should maybe incorporate some of your explanation in to the post.


Now . . . I'm off to hunt me some googlewhacks!!smiley - cool


A1117658 - Googlewhack

Post 12

Bright Blue Shorts

It's a very thin entry ...

As it stands it would perhaps be better as part of an entry about Google in general. There's probably a lot can be said about Google ... it's lack of advertising, how it works / design erm, erm

You could go on to mention Googlism then ... that can be fun too.


A1117658 - Googlewhack

Post 13

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

If nothing more can be thought of to increase the content, why not expand the scope of the entry to cover other Google phenomena such as Google bombing.

And whilst I know what Google bombing is, I have no idea how it's done - you're the Researcher - research it smiley - winkeye

smiley - geeksmiley - online2longsmiley - stiffdrinksmiley - hangoversmiley - ok
Scout


A1117658 - Googlewhack

Post 14

Pinwheel Pearl, GURU, Post Book Reviewer, Muse of Japanese Maples and Owlatron's Thundercat

Googlism? Google bombing?

Has anyone else noticed that DMK appears to have disappeared....


A1117658 - Googlewhack

Post 15

Bright Blue Shorts

www.googlism.com it uses the Google search engine. You put names in, and it tells you what Google knows about them. Can get some very strange results ...


A1117658 - Googlewhack

Post 16

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

And then there's Googlefight.

smiley - geeksmiley - online2longsmiley - stiffdrinksmiley - hangoversmiley - ok
Scout


A1117658 - Googlewhack

Post 17

Pinwheel Pearl, GURU, Post Book Reviewer, Muse of Japanese Maples and Owlatron's Thundercat

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!


A1117658 - Googlewhack

Post 18

J

*Spontaneously combusts*

smiley - smiley


A1117658 - Googlewhack

Post 19

Monsignore Pizzafunghi Bosselese

Well, just in case that DMK just went to the beach:

One chapter of Parkinson's law deals with the optimum help-wanted ad. If you, as the author of that ad, list all the benefits and goodies then you'll end up with 100s and 1000s of applications and the problem to sort out your best candidate. If you emphasise the drawbacks, you'll end up with no application and have to start over again. The optimum ad[*] is well balanced and will yield *precisely one* candidate, and that's the one to sign the contract.

You can link to Parkinson's Law at A563843


smiley - cheers
Bossel

[*] In order to achieve that, the ad would have to read something like this:
"Career Opportunity: head of a small country in Central America. You'll have all the powers, a villa w/ pool, 5 cars (you choose from Bentley, RR, Daimler). Official income: Mega-$$, unofficial income: unknown, your deal. Body guards, ammunition and poison detectors provided. You have to give the eulogy for your predecessor. Send application by covert mail to ...."


A1117658 - Googlewhack

Post 20

Pinwheel Pearl, GURU, Post Book Reviewer, Muse of Japanese Maples and Owlatron's Thundercat

Does the above have any relevance?


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more