A Conversation for Talking Point: One Minute Rants

Cigarette butts out the car window

Post 1

BadZen

Really really really annoy me. I've had to put out fires started by idiots who throw their cigarette butt out the window, still lit. I've had to dodge the flying, still-lit butt when riding my bike. Arrrrrrr oh for an iron bar when that happens.


Cigarette butts out the car window

Post 2

Mat Lindsay (the researcher formerly known as Nylarthotep...now he has a name, all he needs is a face)

I'm so glad that someone else out there highlighted this one. People dropping litter and cigarette butts in general annoys me and I tend to be one of those people that will openly pick up litter and comment loudly to my other half at my disgust with the offending party. But nothing infuriates me more than a driver who thinks that their little bubble called a car is inviolate and the outside world is their own private landfill site. The number of times that even as a pedestrian I have nearly been hit in the eye by a casually discarded cigarette butt tossed out of a window by a passing driver is amazing. The butt is always still lit and the munter in the car doesn't care where it ends up. Maybe I'm missing something here, but I seem to remember that most of the cars I've ridden in had ashtrays...maybe they were simply ornamental, I don't know.

This built up to the point where I was passing some traffic lights one day. Lo and behold a driver wound down his window and flicked his cigarette butt out of the window, just missing my right eye. Without a moments thought I picked the offending item up and flicked it straight back in. The strange thing was that his cool and calm demeanour soon dissipated as he ranted and threatened and called me every name under the sun. It seems that where as he was well within his rights to almost blind me with a casual abandon, I was prohibited from taking the same stance in return.

Maybe this dovetails neatly with the other thread about hypocrites...


Cigarette butts out the car window

Post 3

PQ

I get really annoyed when people comment snottily about how messy my car is - because I refuse to dump my litter on other people it stays in the car either in a bag in the passenger side or in the footwells of the back seats. I don't leave food or half full drinks in my car, it's only newspapers and empty cans etc etc which I will occassionally drop off at recycling when I'm at the supermarket...most peoples attitude seems to be that if you don't drive around in a sterile empty car your some sort of filthbagsmiley - steam


Cigarette butts out the car window

Post 4

Mat Lindsay (the researcher formerly known as Nylarthotep...now he has a name, all he needs is a face)

Your car is your car, your mess your mess, your problem your problem.

At least you keep it inside your car rather than dumping rubbish out the window.

Praise due to a respectfully non-littering driver.


Cigarette butts out the car window

Post 5

GraceK

My husband did exactly the same with a bag of chips smiley - biggrin. Which went down really well as you can guess. Still serves the litterbug right.
smiley - fairy


Cigarette butts out the car window

Post 6

the_jon_m - bluesman of the parish

My solution - Don't want mess in your car, + don't want to get out and put it in a bin.

most carparks, esp for drive though burger places, have bins within easy reach of an arm out the window.

So drive up, stop, wind down window, take rubbish in right hand (if in UK), extend arm out window and into bin, drop rubbish in bin, retrack hand, drive off!


Cigarette butts out the car window

Post 7

Delicia - The world's acutest kitten

I hate hate hate litterbugs! They should be made to eat their litter, including beer cans. Particularly beer cans.
I hate hate hate noisy people. They should be shot into space, where sound doesn't carry, or at least confined to reservations, where they can din into each other's ears.
I hate hate hate people who mistreat animals. They ought to be drowned, walled up alive, quartered and drawn.
I hate lawyers, politicians, activists and my moral superiors, but i suppose they must be let live, long as they don't also litter. That would be the last straw.
smiley - winkeye


Cigarette butts out the car window

Post 8

the_jon_m - bluesman of the parish

I think a kitten is wanting to bite ...


Key: Complain about this post