Balloon volleyball

2 Conversations


Balloon volleyball is one of the few sports that are safe to play indoors; is extremely easy and inexpensive to play; can be played by all ages; improves mental and physical agility and (most importantly) has an incredibly flexible set of rules!

It is a team game and needs at least four players to enjoy the maximum benefits, although it is possible to play a singles version with only 2 players. It can be played outdoors as well, although extra care should be taken not to endanger the local flora and fauna with dangerous feats of daring!

Aim


The winner is the first team to reach 21 points or if teams are tied at 20 points all, to win by two outright points.
To have as much fun as possible!

Equipment

  • A bag of round balloons (as they have a strange tendency to pop.)

  • Chairs - arranged into two rows with the chairs facing inwards so that the fronts touch. Ensure that there is ample room for players to move around the chairs.

  • Referee – optional if teams find one to be necessary.

  • Refreshments – in between breaks of play

  • Basic first aid equipment – things can get a bit messy when competition heats up!

  • Prize – anything deemed worthy by both teams

  • Rules


    1. These rules are only intended as a rough guideline and any that seem unnecessary or that hamper the general enjoyment and creativity of the players involved can be changed whenever it is deemed necessary!


    2. Players should divide into two equal teams if possible. If there are an odd number of players then either one player becomes the referee, audio-visual scoreboard, cheer leader and/or drinks attendant (who could possibly provide timely distractions or run interference!) or teams decide how to divide up fairly.


    3. Each team has a side of the ‘net’ (rows of chairs) which they have throughout the match.


    4. Inflate the balloon. (the foremost rule of the game!)


    5. One of the teams starts by hitting the balloon over the row of chairs onto the opposing side. This is the serve.


    6. If the balloon is served (or falls after being hit) into the centre channel of the chairs, without the receiving team having touched it, the receiving team will be awarded a point and the right to serve.


    7. A team wins a point and the right to serve when the balloon touches the floor on their opponent's side.


    8. The players on the opposing team return the balloon by hitting it over the ‘net’.


    9. Players may collaborate by passing the balloon within their own team and then hitting it over the net.


    10. When a point is scored the balloon is given to the team who conceded the point and they then serve to start the next point. Any member of a team may not serve in consecutive points. Every player must have a turn!


    11. The score should be called out after each point to prevent unnecessary confusion and accusations of cheating being made. However, this is optional depending on the tactics of teams involved. If the opposing team doesn’t notice a ‘minor’ change of the score then they should be paying more attention!


    12. A player may hit the balloon as often as they like within their own side apart from after serving where the server is allowed only one hit.


    13. Players may not carry the balloon but can pass it from one hand to the other. This is known as dribbling.


    14. Players may return the balloon by any means necessary i.e. kicks, heading and blowing at the balloon are permissible.


    15. A foul is committed if a player intentionally pops the balloon; attempts to hit the balloon underneath the chairs; uses anything other than a part of their body to hit the balloon over the net; swaps teams during the course of play or climbs into the centre channel in order to prevent the balloon landing there. In case of a foul being committed the opposing team is awarded a point and the player committing the foul is collectively frowned upon (or cheered, depending on the players involved!)


    16. It is permissible for players to move beyond the area covered by the 'net' and continue play around the net. However, they then run the risk of leaving their side of the net exposed.


    17. Players are allowed to reach over into the centre channel in an attempt to keep the balloon in the air and not concede a point. Players may also climb onto the chairs forming the centre channel and can, if they wish, actually jump into the channel and continue play. However, it is the prerogative of both teams to decide whether this rule should be left out altogether as it can prove controversial.


    18. Players may take as many breaks as required, as agreed by both teams.


    19. If the validity of a point is questioned players may decide to replay a point to resolve the issue.


    20. If the score reaches 20-20 then in order to win the match a team must win by two outright points. Play continues until this is achieved.

    Techniques


    There are many possible techniques and new adaptations are expected to arise:

    The serve



    This is arguably the most important move of the game as the game cannot proceed until the balloon is hit over to the opposite side of the net. A serve is normally intended to be as powerful and low as possible in order to win points quickly. Another tactic is to make a great show of tremendous force and effort (to strike fear into the opposing team) and then simply paddle the shot over the net. This can prove extremely successful if the team uses a mixture of service types.

    The basic hit



    A player attempts to give the balloon a whack with the palm of their hand or fist, to send the balloon whistling past the opposition straight onto the floor. However, hard hits do not necessarily propel the balloon faster as they tend to ignore the player and spin upwards blissfully unaware of the steaming players below. Aim is all important as the more accurate the shot, the faster points can be won! Try to hit the top and side of the balloon to keep it heading downwards and use a cupped hand to focus the force into a particular area. A flat-handed swat will often result in the balloon floating wildly off course.

    The running dive



    This should only be employed in moments of extreme desperation, as it can prove slightly hazardous to your health and that of fellow team-mates. It involves running to retrieve a balloon travelling either extremely rapidly or at a seemingly-unreachable angle and then diving to keep it off the ground and in play. It is important to stay clear of large stationary objects when attempting the dive.

    The backward lob



    This involves hitting the balloon backwards over your head to keep it in play. It is important to only use this move when facing away from the net otherwise your team-mates will judge this to be an inexcusable lack of judgement.

    The kick



    Any player particularly gifted at football/soccer, kick boxing, ballet, swimming (or possibly think they are!) can attempt a version of the kick. This involves making some form of contact with the balloon with your foot in order to propel the balloon over the net. This also serves to astound the opposing team if successfully achieved and to win the player increased respect from fellow team members. However, ensure that unsuspecting team members are not inadvertently in the way of your kick or acts of a violent and hysterical nature may occur.

    The header



    A player attempts to make contact with the balloon using his/her head to get it over the net. This works best in combination with a dive to give the balloon maximum force and direction and if the forehead is used as opposed to the top of the head.

    The puff



    This is a move that should only be attempted as a last resort. A player attempts to propel the balloon over the net by blowing at it. The chances of this succeeding are very slim as the force from a puff is not normally large enough to move the balloon the required distance. However, this depends on the particular player as some may prove more adept at this than others!

    The block



    Once the various methods of attack have been mastered it is vital to then concentrate on defense. A very useful way to defend the net is to have a number of team members standing as close as possible to the net. They can then wave their arms around, jump and form a barrier to the opposing team. This makes the task of scoring a point markedly harder for the opponents. It is perfectly legal to block a serve or hit by returning the ball immediately as it comes over the net.
    Taller players may find it easier to block as their height represents a formidable barrier! Players can increase the size of their barrier by sitting on the shoulders of other team members although this may hamper the speed of play!

    A loud, crazed shout



    This serves many purposes including disconcerting the opposition and alerting an inattentive team member to the action taking place.

    Distraction



    This covers a huge range of types of interference from screaming hysterically at key moments to having team members run around to the opposing side of the net and trying generally to cause confusion. Inane grins and silly songs about the opposition can also work. Pretending to mysteriously have lost the balloon and then serving whilst everyone is looking for it can prove successful, but can not be used more than once as the opposition will quickly catch on to the subversive tactics!

    Variations


    For a more advanced version of the game more than one balloon can be used simulataneously but this can prove a bit confusing depending on the ability and state of inebriation of players!


    A version of balloon tennis can also be played using long, straight balloons as ‘racquets’ to hit the balloon over the net. Normal tennis rules apply but other methods of returning (eg kicking the balloon) are permissable and it may be necessary to pass the balloon within the team before hitting over the net. More than two players per team are also allowed.

    Conclusion


    Balloon volleyball is a game that is intended to be spontaneous and is not to be taken too seriously. However, tournaments can be arranged for parties or lunch time entertainment to alleviate the tedium of work. It provides an excellent work out and is a great stress reliever! Losing a match shouldn't be viewed as utter humiliation as the core aim of this game is to have as much fun as possible which is often proved true for the losing team!


    Bookmark on your Personal Space


    Entry

    A1109774

    Infinite Improbability Drive

    Infinite Improbability Drive

    Read a random Edited Entry


    Written and Edited by

    Disclaimer

    h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

    Write an Entry

    "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

    Write an entry
    Read more