A Conversation for New York City, New York, USA

Apartments

Post 1

NYC Student - The innocent looking one =P

...health code violations and roach and rat infestations, related mainly to the never-ending battle over rent control, subsidized housing, and sluml--.. *cough cough* landlords who are quite unreceptive to their own tenants. Stories include not cashing rent checks in order to evict unwanted tenants (so as to better utilize the higher rent caps), cutting off heating and hot water to have the tenants leave in disgust, create all sorts of ambivalent yet punitive rules about absentee renters, subletting agreements, etc etc. Which just goes along with the city's history in general what with "slum clearance" arson cases, run-around sweat equity clauses, housing preservationists' zealotry against high-rise developers' zealotry, and one of the lowest vacancy rates for any major city nationwide...


Apartments

Post 2

NYC Student - The innocent looking one =P

Not to mention the city's five year rule commercial property squatters, incredible land value speculation (with mass land purchases but without renovation) and slipshot condos (with mass land purchases but without compunction)... rant rant rant...


Apartments

Post 3

J

Hi there. I've finally gotten around to working on this again, and I've done quite a bit. I don't suppose you feel like writing a section on apartments? I've written a bit, but I've never lived in NYC, so I'd trust you more smiley - smiley

smiley - blacksheep


Apartments

Post 4

J

Oh, and I think I'm exaggerating a bit on that section, so feel free to yell at me a bit

smiley - blacksheep


Apartments

Post 5

NYC Student - The innocent looking one =P

A few notes:

Flushing, aka 'Koreatown', is in Queens, not Manhattan.

Queens, by the way, is also the home of the US Open - its stadium right on the other side of the train station from Shea stadium, in Flushing Meadows-Corona park, a park already known for being the location of the 1964 World's Fair.

Ground Zero may draw tourists, but the towers did NOT fall on September 11th, 2000.

The Mets are, yes, in the same league as the Yankees. There is only one Major League in baseball. This is noted very well by the fact that they were both in direct competition in the World Series in 2000, given the name "Subway Series" by New Yorkers in reference to when the New York baseball teams played each other - which happened 14 times since the beginning of the World Series in 1903.

More when I get the inclination. smiley - winkeye


Apartments

Post 6

NYC Student - The innocent looking one =P

And I'd love to write a section. =P


Apartments

Post 7

J

Well there are two leagues in baseball - the American League and the National League, as I'm sure you know. The Yanks are in the AL and the Mets are in the NL - different leagues. I'll add a note to say that they're not in direct competition unless they meet at the World Series.

smiley - blacksheep


Apartments

Post 8

NYC Student - The innocent looking one =P

Fine, fine, but they're still there in the postseasons, yes.


Apartments

Post 9

J

I'll be ready to submit this to the update forum just about as soon as you're ready with your section smiley - smiley No rush though

Any procrastination on your part gives me a reason for putting it off

smiley - blacksheep


Key: Complain about this post