Miners' Code of Conduct

0 Conversations

Miners' Home Page | Why be a Miner? | What do the Miners do? | Miners' Code of Conduct | Volunteer to be a Miner

This document only contains some common-sense guidelines to being a Miner. By joining the scheme you accept this code of conduct; if you do not want to accept this code, then please let us know as soon as possible. This document is not supposed to be heavy-handed: it's just a sensible guide to being a good Miner.

The Miners' Code

First off, the UG Editors will never tell you to do anything, and you certainly don't have to, miners are volunteers. But we do ask that you preform the duties of a miner and pick your quota of entries when asked to do so. If you find that you don't have time one month, then please tell us and we will sort it out. You will not lose your miner title for missing your pick date a few times. However, if you miss your pick date regularly, especially if you don't tell us1, we will give your miner title to someone else.

The second issue is commenting in the AWW. Keep in mind that authors can be sensitive to their work, especially personal items, so try to be as diplomatic as possible. Remember that you're representing the entire UnderGuide. Rudeness in the AWW could result in strippping you of your miner title, depending on the severity and frequency. This may seem a bit heavy handed, but it's important to remember that the authors and entries are the most important part of the UG.

The miners are essentially part of the UnderGuide's editorial team, and will be asked their opinions to decide an issue more than occasionally. We ask that you please handle this responsibly. The UG Editors are happy to give feedback on an issue, but keep in mind that the UG Editors have to be decisive and that their decision is final. Please don't bring an entry or issue to the attention of the UG Editors after a decision has been reached.

Miners will speak to other miners frequently. While all miners obviously have to follow the House Rules onsite, we will also be following discussion offsite in the mailing list, and any defamatory, rude or inappropriate comments will result in an official(ish) warning.

Non Disclosure

The miners are privy to and a part of the process for deciding how the UnderGuide runs. Progress and entries that will be included are announced and discussed on the Yahoo! Group emails before being announced onsite. This is for a reason. We don't want to get people's hopes up. Please don't tell an author that their entry has been picked or is being considered, because it could be dissapointing for them, and frankly embarassing if it is not accepted2.

When an entry is selected for inclusion, we do not disclose who the miner that selected it was. Feel free to let the author know who if you selected it, but don't speak for other miners please.

If a new feature or part of the UG is being considered, we will ask for miners' input. If you leak confidential information (unless it was an accident), you will be asked to leave the scheme.

1We will understand if you were unable to contact us, but after a few missed dates, it's in the best interests of the UG to give your miner title away.2Only once in a while will an editor (In-house or UnderGuide) not allow a picked entry into the UnderGuide for content reasons, but it happens.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A1092520

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more