A Conversation for GG: Corfu Town, Corfu, Greece

Peer Review: A1073594 - Corfu Town, Corfu, Greece

Post 1

Gnomon - time to move on

Entry: Corfu Town, Corfu, Greece - A1073594
Author: Gnomon - U151503

A little something I cooked up since I got back from my hols in Corfu.


A1073594 - Corfu Town, Corfu, Greece

Post 2

Pimms

The general Corfu entry you've linked to isn't much good is it? Pretty blob, shame about the content. Are you tempted to update it? I'd like to see mention of the Durrells, My Family and Other Animals etc.

Pimms smiley - mistletoe


A1073594 - Corfu Town, Corfu, Greece

Post 3

Hoovooloo

Lovely. I went to Corfu in 1977, and this brought the memories flooding back.

I'd go again, but unfortunately I might have to look at an aircraft at some point and I don't fancy Greek jails.

Quick query - is it "Pondikinissi"? I thought it was "Pont..." - or does it matter, given that you're translating from another alphabet?

H.


A1073594 - Corfu Town, Corfu, Greece

Post 4

Trout Montague

Agreed with Pimms Lettuce - my immediate instinct was to search for the Gerald Durrell connection. As a result of that book, Corfu was where I (briefly as a child) wanted to spend the rest of my life.

Also, the Mediterranean Sea. Do you think it should get a mention in the geographical location section?

DMT


A1073594 - Corfu Town, Corfu, Greece

Post 5

Gnomon - time to move on

Pimms, you're right about the existing Edited Entry for the island of Corfu. I am tempted to rewrite it. But that's another day's work.

Hoovooloo, Pondikonissi is transliterated from Greek and is a more accurate transliteration than Pontikonissi. (Nu Tau is pronounced "nd" in the middle of words in Modern Greek). I'd forgotten about the Brits arrested for watching the aeroplanes. Should I remove that bit about 'a good place to watch aeroplanes'?


A1073594 - Corfu Town, Corfu, Greece

Post 6

Gnomon - time to move on

Gerald Durrell didn't live in Corfu Town, so I can't mention him in this entry. But I am seriously considering writing something about the whole island.


A1073594 - Corfu Town, Corfu, Greece

Post 7

Gnomon - time to move on

I've written an entry on the island of Corfu to replace the existing one, so as soon as this entry on the Town gets picked, I'll submit the other one for review.


A1073594 - Corfu Town, Corfu, Greece

Post 8

Pimms

Did you have any good meals? Maybe not to recommend a restaurant, but possibly suggest a typical dish or two - can you get yogurt and honey for breakfast in the town, or buy a slice of spanakopita from a street vendor, as you can in Athens?

Pimms


A1073594 - Corfu Town, Corfu, Greece

Post 9

Gnomon - time to move on

I'm not going to mention food in the entry on the town, but I've put in a section on typical food in the entry on the island.


A1073594 - Corfu Town, Corfu, Greece

Post 10

Gnomon - time to move on

I've added a note not to take photos of the aeroplanes.


A1073594 - Corfu Town, Corfu, Greece

Post 11

McKay The Disorganised

smiley - ok Looking forward to the Island entry.


A1073594 - Corfu Town, Corfu, Greece

Post 12

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

Terrific entry, Gnomon! smiley - smiley

smiley - fishsmiley - musicalnote


A1073594 - Corfu Town, Corfu, Greece

Post 13

Pimms

Are you ready to submit the Corfu island entry?smiley - winkeye

Pimms smiley - mistletoe


A1073594 - Corfu Town, Corfu, Greece

Post 14

Gnomon - time to move on

Yes.


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 15

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've therefore moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 16

Pimms

smiley - bubbly (do they produce a sparkling retsina? smiley - laugh)

Time for that Corfu island entry.

Pimms


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 17

Gnomon - time to move on

Yay! Now I'll be happy for the weekend! Thanks to everyone who commented. Champers all round. smiley - bubblysmiley - bubblysmiley - bubblysmiley - bubblysmiley - bubbly


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 18

Gnomon - time to move on

The Corfu Island entry has now been submitted to Peer Review.


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 19

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

Congratulations, Gnomon! This one was ripe for the picking! smiley - biggrin

smiley - bubbly


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 20

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

Well done Gnomon smiley - cheers


Key: Complain about this post