A Conversation for The world of American Television reinventions

UK/US Television Transplants

Post 1

Zzyzx

Reference your suggestion that US networks may not want too many British actors and more "home-grown" content I think one more likely explanation that you don't mention is that many Americans have difficulty deciphering UK accents that are less familiar to them.

Whilst Alistair Cooke presented a popular programme on American TV for many years, the more colourful accents found in some UK television would be completely indecipherable for someone who'd never heard a Glasweigian or Geordie accent before.

I also wonder if, for the sake of balance, the article would benefit from mentioning American television programmes which were repackaged for UK consumption? Although I'm not positive that they originated in the US, I'm fairly sure that Family Fortunes started out as "Family Feud" in the USA, The Price Is Right originated in the USA, University Challenge is a "britified" version of "College Bowl", and the version of Jeopardy! shown on Sky a while back was the American version with the local geography questions altered for UK consumption, for obvious reasons.




Key: Complain about this post

UK/US Television Transplants

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more