A Conversation for Birdlife Volunteers - Discussion on Ideas for Activities

Promotion of ERVI in ports of call

Post 1

Carol - New Zealand

Hola

We should encourage people/schools to welcome and farewell the boat.

But what do we want to happen when we arrive/depart?

Are we going to encourage people to visit the boat while it is in port? Are we going to have an open day?

Students could bring artwork (posters/banners) to be displayed on the boat while it is in port, or perhaps display some of it in a building close-by?

Who should we arrange to meet/farewell the boat. Who could visit that would raise media interest?

In New Zealand the NZ team planning to row the North Atlantic in 2005 all live in Wellington and would be keen to meet John, and they are interested in the voyage - perhaps this would get the medias attention - the old conquest, the new adventure?

Ideas, ideas, ideas...... ?

Carol Knutson (New Zealand)


Promotion of ERVI in ports of call

Post 2

Researcher 228224

Hi Carol,

I think everyone arranging the arrival/departure of the boat to/from a port should post their thoughts here and read all the other idea. While every port will be different there will, nevertheless, be many similarities. Good to get all availbale ideas and improve on them.

We must not underestimate the toll the Southern Ocean will exact on the 27 year-old boat. We may find much of our time is taken up with getting ready for the next Leg.

I feel our Focus in each port should be to galvanise support for signing and ratification of the Agreement on the Conservation of Albatrosses and Petrels (ACAP). We need a definite target and ACAP supplies that Aim, we will be "In the Right Place at the Right Time".


Perhaps we need a specific Poster from BirdLife, Leon, urging ACAP signing and ratification and maybe it should be the most prominent thing wherever we go in each port. What does everyone else think about this?

Into the mist...John.


Promotion of ERVI in ports of call

Post 3

Peter B

Carol, you have such a wealth of great ideas! Keep them coming!!


Promotion of ERVI in ports of call

Post 4

Peter B

No doubt you will want to arrange at least one "Open Day" aboard ERVI in each port of call. (Stepping aboard for a look around a celebrated boat never seems to loose its appeal for people.)

You may want to consider a tour of the ship guided by JR as a special prize in each port for a select group of kids who have done something extraordinary in their community to help raise awareness of the albatross and of your voyage.


Promotion of ERVI in ports of call

Post 5

Researcher 228326

Carol/John,

I'm not sure what the plans are for the Dunedin and Chatham ports following leaving Wellington, NZ. However, if it would help I can get in touch with people who are working with the Royal albs at Tairoa Head, and those working with Chatham/Royal albs on the Chathams to try and arrange meetings/discussions? Also, in late December, early January the team that has been working on the recently rediscovered Chatham Island Taiko (Magenta Petrel) will be conducting work on the Chathams. Would it be worth while making contact with these people also? May be a way of promoting additional media attention or public interest?

I have no idea what our time-line is like and whether you are aiming to stop at either of these places, or whether they are just options depending on weather, time, etc.

Let me know,
Regards,
Brent


Promotion of ERVI in ports of call

Post 6

Nick.Grainger (AU)

In Melbourne...

Currently expected arrival is Monday 1 December 2004, staying approximately one week.

Provisional plan is to initially berth at a bayside yacht club for first few days, to repair any damage, re-supply, get cleaned up and sorted out, I'm working on a berth for this.

Approximately Thursday 4th December move the yacht to Victoria Dock (the Lend Lease pontoon) in Docklands, adjacent to the city with good parking etc, for Friday/Sat/Sun

Jim Downey and Michael Weston (Birds Australia) will approach a prominent politician to invite to visit the yacht and meet the crew etc anytime during the visit, (but preferably at city berth), to use the occasion to talk about all the good things the AU govt is doing in support of the campaign etc, promote the signing and ratification of the ACAP agreement by other countries etc.

Jim & Michael are exploring possibility of putting on a lunch for VIPs - opportunity to meet the crew etc, JR to give illustrated presentation (pics from the trip, possibly some video)

Jim & Michael will explore possibility of organising a public presentation one evening by John (same illustrated talk etc), this could be in town or possibly at one of the city schools involved.

Jim & Michael will explore possibility of approaching a limited number of schools and inviting them to take a party to visit the yacht, individual slots for such visits and show and tell presentation by a crew member.

Public visits, it is proposed that the public be invited to visit the yacht at agreed times over the weekend. Jim/Michael to prepare appropriate press releases.

The yacht will be carrying two canisters of promotional material from Birdlife. It is assumed this material could be used to mount a wharf side display of some sort, to support these public visits.

Local radio to also be approached.

Quentin Hanich is working on a number of further ideas to be advised.

Nick


Promotion of ERVI in ports of call

Post 7

Nick.Grainger (AU)

Brent,

re your thoughts regarding Dunedin and the Chathams...

We originally planned to come into Dunedin, but this was revised to Wellington in consultation with Forest and Bird. I don't think there will now be time to call there. I have been trying to interest John in calling into the Chathams as we could sail right past and it could be a brief stop, but this is undecided at this point. It'll very much depend on how time is going.

I don't think there is anything to be lost in contacting the people you mention but I would not raise any expectations that we might meet up.

Nick


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more