A Conversation for Riven: A Video Game Classic

Peer Review: A1060255 - Riven: A Video Game Classic

Post 1

Mikeguy

Entry: Riven: A Video Game Classic - A1060255
Author: Mikeguy - U196456

There are a ton of entries on Riven, but none of them seem to be up for review. This entry goes in-depth on the classic game, and I hope it will be considered for the edited guide. Feel free to correct me where I'm wrong.


A1060255 - Riven: A Video Game Classic

Post 2

Azara

Hi, Mikeguy!

This is a very well-written and interesting entry. I loved Riven myself, and there's one point I would argue with you about - I think it's misleading to give the whole backstory from the books before you start on Riven itself. I'm sure that lots of players did what I did - just played the game, and worked out the backstory from the hints in the game itself. It gives a misleading impression of a great game if someone ends up assuming they have to read the books before playing Riven.

Have a look at the Edited Entry on Myst at A471188 for comparison - I think you definitely should link to it, but you'll also notice that it gives a lot less plot and quite a bit more comment on the artwork on music.

Quite a bit of what you have at the moment amounts to spoilers - if someone is deciding as they read whether or not they will play the game, the last thing they need is big spoiler hints for the more important problems.

Finally, isn't 'video game' a misleading title? Why not just 'computer Game'?

smiley - cheers
Azara
smiley - rose


A1060255 - Riven: A Video Game Classic

Post 3

Matthew G P Coe

Wow! Makes me want to try Riven again! The only thing I have to point out is a typo -- it's Sirrus, not Sirius.


A1060255 - Riven: A Video Game Classic

Post 4

.

smiley - erm Well the author hasn't left the building, but they seem to be ignoring this thread. smiley - erm

I think this entry is good, although as someone said it contains some spoilers.

I never managed to finish Riven (or Myst). What I really loved about Riven were the cable car things - the graphics and sound was so good, you could imagine you really were flying through the air/zooming under the sea etc.

This entry should link to the Myst entry: A471188

And the title (as Azara said) should probably become something like "Riven - the Computer Game" like the Myst entry is.

Niwt smiley - cheers


A1060255 - Riven: A Video Game Classic

Post 5

Gnomon - time to move on

I agree with Azara. All the background is unnecessary. You can play Riven without having read any of the books or played Myst. I think the spoiler about learning the Riven numbers should really be removed.

I think this entry would be better concentrating on the look and feel of Riven, rather than the background as presented in books which are really not much to do with the Computer Game.


A1060255 - Riven: A Video Game Classic

Post 6

.

I don't think anything is happening to this entry. smiley - sadface


A1060255 - Riven: A Video Game Classic

Post 7

Cyzaki

Is this still being worked on?

smiley - panda


A1060255 - Riven: A Video Game Classic

Post 8

Cyzaki

The author is one day away from leaving the building - propose a move to the flea market.

smiley - panda


A1060255 - Riven: A Video Game Classic

Post 9

Otto Fisch ("Stop analysing Strava.... and cut your hedge")


Seconded ....


A1060255 - Riven: A Video Game Classic

Post 10

Geggs

And yet it's still here.

I'll send an email.


Geggs


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more