A Conversation for h2g2 Web Site Testing Group

Testing: course template

Post 1

dElaphant (and Zeppo his dog (and Gummo, Zeppos dog)) - Left my apostrophes at the BBC

Would you all mind taking a look at this and tell me how it fares in your different browsers?

http://teachx.rutgers.edu/coursetemplate/

Links and whatnot are not finished, I'm just looking at the layout at this point.

Many thanks
smiley - dog


Testing: course template

Post 2

dElaphant (and Zeppo his dog (and Gummo, Zeppos dog)) - Left my apostrophes at the BBC

also I'm only looking at the default stylesheet - if you are using a browser that lets you switch to the alternates, don't bother. They are not finished and probably won't be there in the end.
smiley - ta
smiley - dog


Testing: course template

Post 3

HappyDude

In "Mozilla Firefox 0.9.3" it looks pretty much the same as MSIE apart from the fact that large fonts you have used for the titles appear slightly smaller than in MSIE. In "Lynx" (Text only browser with no CSS support) the page is functional (This bodes well for accessibility). Looking at your code I've some concerns as to how well Netscape4.xx will cope with the CSS but as I'm on the GF's PC I can't check (if there is a problem there is a quick (if nasty) fix).










Testing: course template

Post 4

dElaphant (and Zeppo his dog (and Gummo, Zeppos dog)) - Left my apostrophes at the BBC

I've looked at it with Netscape 4.8 for the Mac (there will be differences between that and the Windows version), and it looks acceptable. A couple of extra images show up, but they are down at the bottom of the page where they don't interfere. I was aiming for a page that degraded well but would not necessarily be as pleasant in an old browser.

Did the "your browser is cr*p" message (I'm paraphrasing there smiley - winkeye) appear in Lynx?
smiley - dog


Testing: course template

Post 5

HappyDude

yes


Testing: course template

Post 6

Marjin, After a long time of procrastination back lurking

Opera looks the same as IE6.


Testing: course template

Post 7

dElaphant (and Zeppo his dog (and Gummo, Zeppos dog)) - Left my apostrophes at the BBC

I'll have to do something about that "browser is cr*p" message then.

I'm glad to hear about Opera. Does anyone have IE5.0 hanging around? That's the one I expect will have lots of oddities.
smiley - dog


Testing: course template

Post 8

Ion the Naysayer

Testing in Firefox 0.9.3. The site looks excellent. Very professional.

Just two minor nits. You may want to consider putting a bit of space (say, 2px) after the list items in the Rutgers Links section. In Firefox at 800x600 I find it difficult to tell where one item stops and the next starts until they are mouseover-ed. Also, the image that links you back to the main RU site (ru_logo.gif) looks a bit strange to me left-justified.


Testing: course template

Post 9

dElaphant (and Zeppo his dog (and Gummo, Zeppos dog)) - Left my apostrophes at the BBC

That logo on the bottom is a problem. It should be in the far-left bottom corner, but I keep running into problems with the css. The padding in the left column is an easy fix. I might add some other visual clue too, a bullet of some sort maybe. Is there a way to make the second and following lines of a list item be further indented, so each item has a hanging indent if it runs over one line? Like this:

Item 1
Item 2 is too long
smiley - spaceand should indent
smiley - spacelike this
Item 3 is too long
smiley - spaceas well
Item 4

Thanks for the compliments, but I can't take credit for the design. I'm trying to make the page look as much like the official university template (http://toolkit.rutgers.edu/templates/nbp/nbp_templateB1.html) as I can while targeting a more specific use, and addressing some shortcomings with that template. It's proved impossible for a novice to work with (and I hate all that wasted space on the right).


Testing: course template

Post 10

HappyDude

"Does anyone have IE5.0 hanging around?"
Forget about that MSIE 4 is the real pain, I had the misfortune to have to use IE 4 last April (on the Office PC of a major Hotel Chain).
Old browsers (for testing) can be found at http://browsers.evolt.org/


Testing: course template

Post 11

Ion the Naysayer

I'm not especially fond of this but it works:

li {
padding-left: 1em;
text-indent: -1em;
}

It's creating a hanging indent by making the indent on the first line negative and shifting the box to the right. Not sure if it will work inside a navigation menu, though. I tested it in Internet Explorer 6 and Firefox 0.9.3.


Key: Complain about this post