A Conversation for Staff Room

Few Issues

Post 1

Craxus "ACE" (High Lord of the Magicians Guild "A2510425")

Ok we have a few issues of Hogwarts before we really start to advertise for it. Let's start putting down some of the issues and see if we can come up with a way to solve them. Here are a few i can think of:

-Years

-Quidditch the game

-Classes


Few Issues

Post 2

Myjo - Keeper of Decisions That Should Never be Made on Two Hours of Sleep

Hey, I like where you put the Staff Room. Very nice.

As for Hufflepuff tower, can we put it down a staircase off of the right hall? Thanks.

Another issue to add to the list might turn out to be sorting. As Craxus noted, everyone seems to want be Gryffindor. Should we set up some kind of sorting hat in the Great Hall? We could just rotate through the houses, as we discussed doing with the years. Something to think about.

I've been doing some more thinking about assigning students years, as well as the issue of advancement, but I'm going to put that in a separate post, as I'm afraid it's fairly long. smiley - smiley

smiley - zoom

Myjo smiley - sleepy


Few Issues

Post 3

Myjo - Keeper of Decisions That Should Never be Made on Two Hours of Sleep


Alright, here's what I think. First of all, I think we should definitely have a system of advancement. After all, how boring would it get if people were stuck as first years for the rest of their lives? If you don't already have a system in mind, I propose the following:

First years must remain first years for at least one month.
Second years must remain second years for at least two months.
Third years must remain third years for at least three months.
And so on.

Going with that method, it would take someone a little over two years to graduate from Hogwart's if they start at the beginning. If that seems too long, we can shorten the required terms. Given how long people tend to stick with Hootoo, though, I don't think it's an insane length of time.

At the end of the minimum term, it is up to the student to apply for graduation, which would of course be granted. Having them apply takes care of us having to keep track of every single student's advancement, which could become a gargantuan task.

As for assigning years, what if we start as we had discussed earlier, by allowing the first X number of people a position in the seventh year class? Again, if they decline, we would then sort them randomly, rotating through the years.

Here's where it gets a bit tricky. I suggest that we NOT place anyone in first year to start. I think our assigning years should only be a way to kick start the program, not the program itself. Once we get a nice mixture of years, why don't we simply require all newcomers to start as first years? This way, once we get rolling, every student will be required to go through the same system. Also, those who sign up too late to be seventh years but still early on are given the extra perk of being able to at least skip the first year.

Does this make sense? It's really not as confusing as it sounds, I promise! And of course, any suggestions on the simpler side are welcome, as well. smiley - smiley

smiley - zoom

Myjo smiley - sleepy


Few Issues

Post 4

Craxus "ACE" (High Lord of the Magicians Guild "A2510425")

-It makes perfect sense. Anyway, I think the last paragraph you stated would be best situated and easier for everyone.

-Myjo, are you a lady, just wondering?

-Also the sorting hat idea, we could just ask the people the two houses they wish to be in, and if one is fuller than the other then they can be put in there. OR we can ask them put in order the house you want to be in from greatest to least. So it would be like (example) I want to join Slytherin, Hufflepuff, Gryffindor, Raven Claw. And we would take which one has the least amount of people in and put that person in it.

-Replies?


Few Issues

Post 5

Myjo - Keeper of Decisions That Should Never be Made on Two Hours of Sleep


Yes, sir, I am a lady.

I like the idea of giving folks some say in which house they go in. Asking them to pick two favorites is a good idea. I think we might get a lot of grumbly people if we ask them to rank the four houses according to preference, but then just end up putting them in the house with the fewest students. Another way to let them choose but also retain some control over keeping house sizes equal would be for us to give *them* two houses to choose from (i.e., the two smallest ones).

As for Quiddich and Classes, I'm not quite sure what to suggest. What were you hoping to do with them? Were you hoping to devise some sort of way to play Quiddich through Hootoo? And how involved do you want classes to be? Do you want them to be someplace to just hang out and chat, or do you envision us handing out homework assignments and grading papers?

Speaking of classes, depending on what they turn out to be, are you planning on having course requirements? Do first years have to take potions, charms and transfiguration, while second years also must take herbology and third years must take divination, and so forth?

Ahhh, so much to think about! It's a fun project, though. smiley - biggrin

smiley - zoom

Myjo smiley - sleepy


Few Issues

Post 6

Craxus "ACE" (High Lord of the Magicians Guild "A2510425")

Well first off i was wondering if you wanna be the Deputy HeadMistress, you will mostly be second in command in sort of speak. The main people are really HDS, Mystrunner, and I.

Quidditch and the classes might get a little difficult to understand to keep the students interested in Hogwarts and to let them pass the classes.

I don't know what the class schedules are going to be. Sicne we got the first choice and 2nd choice for the magic the students want, well maybe we can put them in there.

-Craxus smiley - magic


Few Issues

Post 7

Myjo - Keeper of Decisions That Should Never be Made on Two Hours of Sleep

smiley - laugh

Wow! From lowly student to Deputy Head Mistress in a matter of weeks! I feel like Cinderella. smiley - laugh Once again, I'm honored to step up to the task.

Hmmm...still not sure what to do about Quiddich or classes. We could just let people roam willy nilly if you don't envision having much in the way of structure. I'll ponder it further.

FYI, my offline personality is going out of town on business for the weekend, so if you don't get replies from me for a few days, I'm not ignoring anyone. I may be able to check in briefly tomorrow morning (US time), but after that, I'm gone until Monday.

Have a good weekend if I don't talk to you all before then!

smiley - zoom

Myjo smiley - sleepy


Few Issues

Post 8

Craxus "ACE" (High Lord of the Magicians Guild "A2510425")

I hope you have a good weekend too. Mystrunner has a few things for his classroom already up. You should go check it out.


Few Issues

Post 9

Mystrunner

Yup!

It's not finished yet, but it will be soon.


Few Issues

Post 10

Craxus "ACE" (High Lord of the Magicians Guild "A2510425")

Myst do you have an Idea on how to set up a rather decent game of Quidditch?


Few Issues

Post 11

Myjo - Keeper of Decisions That Should Never be Made on Two Hours of Sleep


Phew! I've been back for a few days, but what a week so far! Busy, busy busy.

Anyhoo, Myst, I really like your classroom. I'm definitely going to take it into consideration as I design the Potions classroom.

Now that we've had a little while to think about it, does anyone have further thoughts about how to handle years and sorting? How do you propose we come to a final decision on this once everyone has said their piece? Put it to a vote? I guess I feel like we've had a bunch of theories tossed about now, and we might be close to solidifying the process. It would be nice to have that bit nailed down so that we can lend more energy to things like Quiddich and classes. Just my 2smiley - 2cents.

smiley - zoom

Myjo smiley - sleepy


Few Issues

Post 12

Craxus "ACE" (High Lord of the Magicians Guild "A2510425")

I agree, and welcome back. We should finish up with years, then do Quidditch and classes then for the most part we can start to advertise Hogwarts to the rest of h2g2. Ok let's take a vote on it. Let's list the options for choosing students there years.


Few Issues

Post 13

Mystrunner

Options... well. We could set up a test at selectsmart, and let them take it.


Few Issues

Post 14

Myjo - Keeper of Decisions That Should Never be Made on Two Hours of Sleep


Ooo, I'm intrigued. Do you mean this to apply to Sorting or to assigning years? If you mean sorting, I could see there being a series of personality tests, ala the Official HP Website. If years, it could be some sort of test of knowledge. We'd have to make it really tough, though, in that case. If people are big enough fans to want to attend Hogwart's, chances are they'll find questions like, "What shape is Harry's scar?" or "Who is the youngest Weasley?" to be a walk in the park.

Either way, sounds like fun.

smiley - zoom

Myjo smiley - sleepy


Few Issues

Post 15

Craxus "ACE" (High Lord of the Magicians Guild "A2510425")

Yes, I like it! smiley - smiley


Few Issues

Post 16

Craxus "ACE" (High Lord of the Magicians Guild "A2510425")

Myjo, I hate to ask but would you want to be a Divinition teacher, a herbology teacher, or a history teacher. See i got a friend named Jade who wishes to be a flight instructor wants my job, and well nothing of those classes suits me too well. I know this sounds mean but would you like to try out any other classes, to teach?


Few Issues

Post 17

Myjo - Keeper of Decisions That Should Never be Made on Two Hours of Sleep


Nah, no worries. I haven't been able to work on the Potions classroom, anyway. I might as well take Divination, since that is my strength.

smiley - zoom

Myjo smiley - sleepy


Few Issues

Post 18

Craxus "ACE" (High Lord of the Magicians Guild "A2510425")

Ok good that will work out perfectly. Just link your Divintion classroom here, and i will put it up.


Few Issues

Post 19

Craxus "ACE" (High Lord of the Magicians Guild "A2510425")

Ok people, we need to finish this up! We have waited too long..... This is what we need to do then start your advertising:

-Finish all classes, and start the learning processes.

-Figure out the years, I like Myjo's idea though, maybe she can figure out what to do with that.

-Quidditch, we need to figure out a way to set the rules, maybe we could make it where one person gets the quaffle and they get 1 post then the other team gets to post, I dont know we can figure this out.

-Figure out a sorting hat type thing, so we dont have so many people in gryffindor or something like that.


Few Issues

Post 20

Aries (ACE + Badger)

Where should the Ravenclaw common room be?


Key: Complain about this post

Few Issues

More Conversations for Staff Room

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more