The Behaviour Based Interview

2 Conversations

‘Tell me about a specific time when...’ Sounds easy doesn’t it? And it is, except when it is a dreaded job interview. This type of question is the backbone of a relatively new and extremely popular form of interviewing called behavioural based interviewing.

The behavioural based interview works on the principle that knowing a potential employees’ past behaviour is the best way to predict future behaviour.




Tips for the Interviewee


It’s not easy applying for a job, but being prepared is half the battle won before you even begin. Here are a few tips for preparing for the behaviour based interview.

Remember that the employer is looking for a story with a beginning, middle and end. Lets take the question, ‘Please describe a time when you had to deal with an unhappy customer. What happened and what did you do to correct the situation?’ An example of an answer that would be acceptable in a traditional interview format but not in a behavioural interview is: ‘During my last job I had to deal with unhappy customers on a daily bases. I often found solutions that made both me and the customers less unhappy.’ It is not what the interviewer is looking for due to many reasons:

a) It is not a specific example of a single event. The interviewer asked to be told about a specific time when…

b) ’During my last job’ is not very specific. It could be improved by saying what job it was. It is unlikely that the interviewer has memorized your resume (although you should have, see A438536 Interview Techniques)

c) The response didn’t answer the question asked. The question asked ‘What happened and what did you do to correct the situation?’ Good listening skills are vital to achieving a success in an interview.

d) Not to mention 'it made both me ant the customer less unhappy' is not the positive outcome the interviewer is looking for.

A good example of an appropriate answer: ‘When I was working in the coffee shop, one time a regular customer had bought a coffee and the cup broke spilling hot coffee on her. She was very unhappy with this, so after assessing her burn and seeing it wasn’t serious, I gave her coupons for several free coffees valid at any of our stores, and a travel mug so that the coffee wouldn’t spill on her again. I know the customer was very happy with this because she told me that it was more than she had expected.’




Tips for the Interviewer


The Up Side to Behavioural Based Interviews is that it gives the employer specific examples of skills and character traits that would be useful in the work environment. Also it gives the interviewee the opportunity to discuss mistakes made in the past and actions taken to correct and prevent similar mistakes from happening again.

The Down Side to Behavioural Based Interviews is similar to any interview process. People have on occasion been known to mislead the person interviewing them. However with the specific nature of this type of questioning a trained interviewer can spot untruth more easily then one might think.




Here is a List of Some Possible Questions That Might Be Asked in an Interview.


-Tell me about a time when you had to analyze information and make a recommendation.

-Tell me about a recent successful experience in making a speech or presentation.

-When was the last time you thought "outside the box" and how did you do it? Why?

-Give me an example of a time when you had to be quick in coming to a decision.

-Tell me about a goal that you set that you did not reach. What steps did you take? What obstacles did you encounter? How did it make you feel?

-Tell me about a time when your initiative caused a change to occur.

-Give a specific example of a policy you conformed to with which you did not agree. Why? Did you conform?




Tips For Preparing for The Behavioural Based Interview


Practise. Practice. Practice. Above is a small list of some typical behaviour based interview questions. Practice answering them under presser. Be sure to give a beginning, middle and an end to each answer. The structure of the answer is one thing that the interviewer will be looking for. Instead of venturing off topic it is ok for the interviewee to ask what the question was or to confirm with the interviewer if this is the answer that they are looking for. It is better to do this than to meander to far away from the question.

Another important thing to remember while preparing for a behavioural based interview, is not to memorize your answers. The reason not to do this is two fold:

a) A person will go into the interview expecting certain questions and when the interviewer asks something that wasn't prepared for it may upset the interviewee and cause him/her to flounder for an answer.

b) A good interviewer will spot a memorized answer from miles away. The interviewer is looking for the ability to think on ones feet, and answer the question asked.


Have a read of A438536 for more advise. Body language and dress are also important factors in any interview situation.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A1023003

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Currently in:

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more