A Conversation for Sol-fa (1): the key to the riddle of staff notation

A1012230 - Sol-fa: the key to the riddle of staff notation (1)

Post 41

The H2G2 Editors

Congratulations, Recumbantman, on your anniversary! smiley - bubbly

Incidentally, Richard Creasey, our co-founder, rides a Bromption into work too. He swears by them. smiley - smiley


A1012230 - Sol-fa: the key to the riddle of staff notation (1)

Post 42

Recumbentman

Why thank you kindly, Messieurs & Mesdames Editors!


A1012230 - Sol-fa (1): the key to the riddle of staff notation

Post 43

Recumbentman

By the way I've rehashed this entry a bit more and feel I'm done with it now . . .


A1012230 - Sol-fa (1): the key to the riddle of staff notation

Post 44

Mu Beta

Does that mean I'm a bit late with a suggestion?

I was merely going to posit that the reference to 'Doh, a Deer' might be more accurate if it was referred to by the song's actual title: 'Do, Re, Mi', possibly with a link to the lyrics:

http://www.niehs.nih.gov/kids/lyrics/doremi.htm

(link to Homer Simpson's alternative 'beer' lyrics optional. smiley - winkeye)

B


A1012230 - Sol-fa (1): the key to the riddle of staff notation

Post 45

Sea Change

It's still not clear to me why you have chosen to switch from ancient to modern letter names in the place where you did. It does look like you have reworded it so that it's clear which notes you are referring to. They seem as arbitrary as they did before, though.

I have looked over the other 1/2 of the entry. The numbers without units are still disturbing to me, because I can't tell where they came from. It reads more smoothly now in general, but I suspect that is because you have catered to my commentary more than you might have liked, and my brain likes it's own ideas. I am curious what Auscnenaisse -scratch that- the German researcher thinks on rereading it.


A1012230 - Sol-fa (1): the key to the riddle of staff notation

Post 46

Sam

I am so hovering above the 'Accept' button barely able to restrain myself! Recumbentman (impressive bike ride, BTW!) would you like half a second to respond to the comments above?smiley - cheers


A1012230 - Sol-fa (1): the key to the riddle of staff notation

Post 47

Ausnahmsweise, wie üblich (Consistently inconsistent)

Hi,

this is Ausnahmsweise, wie üblich, the British-Canadian researcher smiley - winkeye

I re-read it. I still have to go off on a tangent and look up other stuff. But that's because I have absolutely no musical background (except for percussion).

It certainly reads very nicely. Style, etc. is great. I'd press the button if I were you.

Awu.
I too am impresed by the bike ride. I'm a competitive roadie, but don't do anywhere near enough touring.


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 48

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've therefore moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 49

Gnomon - time to move on

smiley - bubbly Congratulations! smiley - bubbly


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 50

Cyzaki

Congrats! smiley - bubbly

smiley - panda


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 51

Geggs

smiley - applauseWell done!


Geggs


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 52

Recumbentman

Thank you again Geggs, Cyzaki, Gnomon . . . and thank you Ausnahmsweise and Sam. I was going to get back to you, Sea Change, but I wasn't sure just which entry you were referring to. The figures are all in Sol-fa (2) but the question came up in the So-fa (1) thread. The unexplained figures: I guess you mean the Ut 24, Re 27 table? . . . I did say above 'if Ut is 8x' and then 'taking x for granted' -- which was supposed to explain that.

The change from {G g etc} to all-captials is explained in the footnotes, but you are right -- the medieval distinction need not have been introduced at all. I did it for some sort of completeness, and also to explain the need for gamma.

This is not to say I want to change anything now; I'm afraid some people *will* have difficulty with these entries, simply because some people have difficulty with maths, lists, tables and such stuff. I sympathise, but recommend they either say 'whatever' and go on to another entry or else re-read until it makes sense, or until they get used to it at least.

And Master B, thanks for the correct name of the song. I'd prefer to leave the reference as it is, though (a quote of the first words) as that is clear and needs no explanation. 'Doh Re Mi' would have entailed putting in more words and God knows there are enough there already.

~R


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 53

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

smiley - bubbly for Recumbentman! smiley - applause Great entry.

smiley - fishsmiley - musicalnote


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 54

Recumbentman

smiley - ta Z's S F!

All that smiley - bubbly -- I'm starting to smiley - cdouble


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 55

Sea Change

Sorry about that, I find that I needed to read back and forth to understand the whole thing and had posted on the wrong thread.

Is 'x' a measurement in Hz? If it's not, I'd want to know what 1 represents.

But, now it is a matter for the Sub-Editor.


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 56

Recumbentman

Yes, x is a measurement in Hz. When I say "if Ut is 8x" I invoke the convention that x can stand for any number. If x is 55 for instance, then 8x is 440, which would make the note A our current Ut.

As you say, it's up to the sub-ed to decide if this needs explanation. Or if such an explanation makes it any clearer.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Sol-fa (1): the key to the riddle of staff notation

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more