UnderGuide Archives: About the UnderGuide

0 Conversations

The UnderGuideOnce upon a time, a few devoted Researchers saw the need for more recognition of creative writing on h2g2. Creative writing, we're told, is not the main point of the site. The Edited Guide demands conformity to the Writing Guidelines, but a lot of fine writing doesn't meet them. In recognition of that, these Researchers proposed a new guide, and called it the UnderGuide.

They weren't the first, though, to try and cater for such writing. The Alternative Writing Workshop was set up by the h2g2 staff, but there was no destination for pieces that went through the AWW. AGG/GAG/CAC, The Post, Fiction Central, So Long and Thanks for Laughing were all created by volunteers to help fill this gap, and all deserve our gratitude and appreciation. But there was still no way to give official recognition to the best of this writing, because there was no route to the direct Front Page exposure that it deserved. The UnderGuide fills that last gap. Through the UnderGuide the best of h2g2's alternative writing is featured on the Front Page1 and then collected within the UnderGuide Archive.

The UnderGuide is an edited collection of writing gems that fall outside the scope of the Edited Guide and that have been officially recognised, featured on the Front Page and added to 'The Guide to Life, the Universe and Everything'2, alongside the Edited Guide entries.

Links to find out more about the UnderGuide's processes and the team behind it :

The Archives
Sort by AuthorGo to CategoriesSort by Date
1Currently one or two entries over each weekend.2click herefor the official italic-maintained archive.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A1010818

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more