A Conversation for Cyclists: be safe - be seen as a bad target

Hidden Posting

Post 81

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

I am reminded of Kate Hooey's article on Hooligans in Lycra, which unfortunately I can't find, although I have some excerpts.

http://www.cyclingforums.com/t53116.html

Here are some replies:

http://www.angrytowers.com/rant_current.asp

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,6903,772761,00.html

smiley - fishO/~


"Hooligans in Lycra"

Post 82

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

Oh, I meant to say, that in London, as a member of one of the local cycling groups admitted at a cycling conference, cyclists have an image problem. Not only that but an age distribution problem. They are mostly male, fit and ride fairly aggressively. OK, I can see that that is one way of dealing with aggressive other traffic. They're also aggressive to other less speedy cyclists, who find them intimidating.

I often use one of the foot tunnels to cross the Thames, where cyclists are supposed to dismount and push their bikes. Some do, but some ride them hell for leather and I was nearly knocked down when two came in oppose directions and I was in the way, and the cyclist behind me caught my elbow as he flew past. I was annoyed at his (and it's always a man) lack of consideration for anyone but himself.

smiley - fishsmiley - musicalnote


"Hooligans in Lycra"

Post 83

Cyzaki

I hate cyclists who cycle on the pavement, and the first you know about them is when they whizz past about two inches from your side... Use the road, guys! Or at least get a bell!

smiley - panda


"Hooligans in Lycra"

Post 84

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

I work for a local authority and we regularly get complaints about cyclists riding on the pavement. I have mixed views on it. Sometimes it is the most sensible thing to do if the pavement is wide and the cyclist is courteous and sensible. Bikes do have bells and brakes, after all. And for children, it can be by far the safest place, and I think that children under 12 aren't covered by the law. Well, they are, but they can't be prosecuted.

smiley - fishsmiley - musicalnote


"Hooligans in Lycra"

Post 85

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

The biggest problem I've noticed here is that many cyclists seem to want to have it both ways -- they want the same rights of the road as those in cars, but they don't want to bound by the same traffic rules.

In my book, if you're going to cycle in the road, you need to follow the same rules as a car -- and that includes stopping at a stop sign or red light, which most cyclists here do not. If you want to be treated like a pedestrian and always have the right away, then stay on the sidewalks like a pedestrian, and leave the roads to the other vehicles.

grrrrrrrrrr

smiley - mouse


"Hooligans in Lycra"

Post 86

Cyzaki

But there's a cycle lane!

smiley - panda


"Hooligans in Lycra"

Post 87

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

> But there's a cycle lane!

Maybe there is where you are, but they are far from universal here.

And where we do have one, they are still part of the regular road, so it still creates havoc on traffic when they don't obey stop signs and traffic signals -- doesn't matter which lane you're in, if you ignore those, you're creating a traffic hazard for everyone else on the road.

smiley - mouse


"Hooligans in Lycra"

Post 88

Cyzaki

I mean there's a cycle lane and they still cycle on the pavement...

smiley - panda


"Hooligans in Lycra"

Post 89

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

I know lots of people who think that way. I don't cycle much, and it's partly because I've a young child, partly because I live on a steep hill with bends and is heavily parked on both sides with only room for one car (when two cars come in opposing directions, one has to give way), which is quite scary on a bike.

I've every sympathy with children on the pavement though, again with the proviso that they're courteous and considerate. Round here, mostly, they are.

smiley - fishsmiley - musicalnote


"Hooligans in Lycra"

Post 90

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

Did you know, Cyzaki, that in New York, Mayor Koch put in cycle lanes at vast expense and cyclist injuries went up. The cyclists thought they were safe and New York drivers took not a bit of notice of them. In the end, he had to take them out and admit they were a mistake.

Cyclists groups complain all the time that drivers park in cycle lanes.

smiley - fishsmiley - musicalnote


"Hooligans in Lycra"

Post 91

Cyzaki

But they still shouldn't be on the pavement running people over...

smiley - panda


"Hooligans in Lycra"

Post 92

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

No, I agree. And there are numbers of people injured (and a few killed) each year by cyclists.

smiley - fishsmiley - musicalnote


"Hooligans in Lycra"

Post 93

Recumbentman

We should look at places where cyclists, pedestrians and motor traffic get on without aggression or intimidation. This is a letter I wrote a few weeks back to The Irish Times, and which they graciously printed. Interestingly there was not a peep to be heard in disagreement, which I take as a good sign, compared with the anti-cyclist rants we had for the past few years: smiley - pumpkin

Dear Madam

I have just spent four weeks travelling by bicycle from Cherbourg to Malmö, cycling in France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Denmark and Sweden. In all those countries what was most impressive was the constant courtesy shown (for whatever reason) by drivers, especially lorry drivers. There are still many places where bikes have to mix with the traffic, even on some roundabouts, but never a feeling of hassle. They have all the time in the world, once they're off the motorway, to wait for a hesitant cyclist to cross their path; and lorry drivers leave a huge margin -- a whole lane, where possible -- when they pass.

Back in Dublin I'm suddenly noticing what I have always taken for granted -- the experience of being squashed at every left turn.

I don't suppose that all continental drivers show courtesy out of innate sweetness; I suspect that the Dutch law -- that in cases of cycle/motor contact motorists carry responsibility unless they can show in court that the cyclist behaved dangerously -- has something to do with it.

The consensus of normal Irish driving behaviour has changed greatly in the last twenty years. A clear rule of the Dutch kind, visibly enforced, is needed to change behaviour. We already have laws about driving with due care and attention, but they are simply not enforced; and without enforcement laws are meaningless. In Holland having the right of way does not excuse motorists who hit cyclists or pedestrians, and the courts require that motorists anticipate unsafe walking and cycling behaviour. Motorists will object a lot, but in the end they are the ones with the lethal weapons that have to be controlled.

By the way, I don't think drivers and cyclists calling each other names advances the debate. I hold the view that our best safety is in numbers.

Where lawyers habitually cycle, cycling is safe.

Yours, etc. smiley - pumpkin


"Hooligans in Lycra"

Post 94

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

I couldn't agree more. And when the profile of cyclists changes from being youngish and male to include more women and older people, it will be all to the good. How many older somen do you see cycling? I know a couple, but they're the exception - and dress in lycra too. We need more skirts!

smiley - fishsmiley - musicalnote


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 95

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've therefore moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 96

Cyzaki

Congrats! smiley - bubbly

smiley - panda


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 97

Recumbentman

Wow Thanks Cyzaki, and thanks everyone! I thought this one was going to languish for ever in the ghostly realms of "opinion".

In fact before I saw that "picked" notice, I came back just now and edited the format of the second-last paragraph a little more. Guess I can leave it alone now. smiley - cheers


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 98

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

Oh, as the recommending Scout, I had hoped to be the first to congratulate you, Recumbentman. It sat with the italics for a while and I wondered what they would make of it. I'm pleased that it's been approved.

Congratulations! smiley - bubbly

smiley - fishsmiley - musicalnote


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 99

Recumbentman

Well thank you especially Z's S F!

I discovered hootoo a year ago today (see F104190?thread=340831 post 7) and I think it's the best place on the web. So there.


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 100

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

It seems the time for anniversaries. tonsil revenge had his second anniversary a week ago. Mine (2nd, that is) was in August. By November I was a scout and a bit apprehensive about making picks. And I agree with you about h2g2 being the best place on the web! smiley - coolsmiley - ok

smiley - fishsmiley - musicalnote


Key: Complain about this post