A Conversation for Satyajit Ray, Filmmaker

Peer Review: A1002330 - Satyajit Ray, Filmmaker

Post 1

Samarpita

Entry: Satyajit Ray, Filmmaker - A1002330
Author: Samarpita - U199500

Satyajit Ray was born on 2nd May 1921 in Calcutta. He graduated from Presidency College, Calcutta, in 1940 and, studied art at Rabindranath Tagore's university, Shantiniketan. By 1943, Ray was back in Calcutta and had joined an advertising firm as a visualizer. He also started designing covers and illustrating books published by the Signet Press. He had a deep interest in films and established the Calcutta Film Society in 1947. During a six-month trip to Europe, in 1950, Ray became a member of the London Film Club and managed to see ninety-nine films in only four and a half months.

Satyajit Ray completed his first film Pather Panchali, in 1955 with financial assistance from the West Bengal Government, overcoming innumerable difficulties. The film went on become an award winner at the Cannes Film Festival and established Ray as a director of international stature. Pather Panchali together with Aparajito (The Unvanquished, 1956) and Appur Sansar(The World of Appu, 1959), form the Apu trilogy. Other films by Ray include Jalsaghar(The Music Room, 1958), Charulata(1964), Aranyer Din Ratri(Days and nights in the forest, 1970), Shatranj ke Khilari(The Chess Players, 1977), Ghare Baire(The Home and the World, 1984), Ghanashatru(Enemy of the People, 1989), Shakha Prashakha(Branches of a tree,1990), Agantuk(The Stranger, 1991).

Ray also made several documentaries, including one on Tagore. In 1987, he made a documentary on Sukumar Ray, to commemorate the birth centenary of his father, perhaps Bengal's most famous writer of nonsense verse and children's books. Satyajit Ray won numerous awards for his films. The British Federation of Film Societies and the Moscow Film Festival Committee named him one of the greatest directors of the second half of the twentieth century. He received an Oscar for Lifetime Achievement from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Science in 1992.

Apart from being a filmmaker, Satyajit Ray was a writer of repute. In 1961, he revived the children's magazine, Sandesh, which his grandfather, Upendrakishore Ray, had started and to which his father used to contribute frequently. Satyajit Ray contributed numerous poems, stories and essays to Sandesh, and also published several novels in Bengali, most of which became best sellers. He received a D.Litt degree from Oxford University in 1978.
Satyajit Ray died in Calcutta in April 1992.

Shatranj ke khilari(The chess players): This is the story of two chess playing Nawabs of Lucknow. The two play obsessively and completely ignore their personal lives and the changing political order, even as it slowly crumbles around them. Set against the backdrop of the The Mutiny, 1857, Ray's wry sense of humor is evident, when one of the Nawabs catches his wife with her lover, and wants to know whether she has seen his chess pieces. They finally have to play elsewhere, in the face of rising hostility from their families, who feel they have lost touch with reality. The movie ends with the players still playing on in an open field while the British Army enters Lucknow in the backdrop.


Goopi Gayen, Baagha Bayen(Goopi, the singer, Baagha the drummer): A delightful fairytale for children, it is the story of Goopi and Baagha, both banished from their respective kingdoms, for being a bad singer and drummer, respectively. They meet each other in the forest. The forest comes alive at night, with a ghost dance, and ends with the King of the ghosts, granting Goopi and Baagha three wishes. A hilarious adventure ensues as a consequence of the wishes, with a trip to the magical land of Shundi, interspersed with wonderful songs, all composed and written by Ray himself.

Pather Panchali(Story of a Road): It is the story of a brother(Apu) and his sister growing up in a village and their daily lives, while their mother waits for news of their father. The film has some breathtaking visuals, like the one in which a train slowly moves into the frame a small speck in the horizon, smoke billowing out and the foreground has the children, crisscrossing through cane fields, running to meet it.


A1002330 - Satyajit Ray, Filmmaker

Post 2

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

Hi there! Sorry it's taken so long for someone to respond to your entry here in Peer Review. We do try to catch things as they come in, but sometimes things "slip through the net".

Anyway, this is an interesting entry, although I do think it could use a bit of polish. My first suggestion would be that I think using some headers could make the flow of the entry a bit more clear. For example....

Biography
Satyajit Ray was born on 2nd May 1921 in Calcutta....

Writing

Filmography

that kind of thing, you know?

smiley - smiley
Michelle


A1002330 - Satyajit Ray, Filmmaker

Post 3

Bels - an incurable optimist. A1050986

Also, I would like to see a little more about the films, especially Pather Panchali. As you say, it made Ray's reputation, and it's widely regarded these days as a great classic film, which surely doesn't rest on the one scene you briefly describe?


A1002330 - Satyajit Ray, Filmmaker

Post 4

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

Since Samarpita hasn't posted on h2g2 for almost four months, I believe one of us should propose a move to the Flea Market for this one.

If you should return to us Samarpita, we ask the Editors to move entries in Peer Review which belong to authors who have apparently left us (two moonths is the usual time limit) to the Flea Market Writing-FleaMarket where it can be taken up and finished by another Researcher. We have to do this so that the Peer Review forum doesn't become unmanageable with hundreds of entries which may never be finished and recommended for editing.

Any seconder?

smiley - geeksmiley - online2longsmiley - stiffdrinksmiley - hangoversmiley - ok
Scout


A1002330 - Satyajit Ray, Filmmaker

Post 5

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

2nd.

smiley - mouse


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more