A Conversation for Protest Against BBC Policy Over Iraq

In the interests of informed debate...

Post 1

Otto Fisch ("Stop analysing Strava.... and cut your hedge")


A792812 is something I wrote some time ago for the Post about freedom of speech on H2G2, if anyone's interested. I think that your petition would be better without reference to a "right" to freedom of speech.

Basically, my argument is that claims about a "right" to freedom of speech are about a core set of political rights (to stand for election, to vote, to protest, to form and join political parties, to distribute pamphlets and tracts and so on), none of which are being denied by the banning of one topic of conversation on a website. I think it would be much better to make a more concrete argument, engaging with the concerns that the powers express in the policy statement, rather than using rather abstract notions of rights that I just don't think apply here.

Otto

BTW, although I don't feel able to sign your petition as it currently stands, I do think that it's a good idea to get a collection of names of those who do object in one place. smiley - smiley


In the interests of informed debate...

Post 2

spook

actual i haven't mention right, just that freedom of speech over this issue has been taken away.

thanks for the positive comment!smiley - smiley

spooksmiley - aliensmile


In the interests of informed debate...

Post 3

Otto Fisch ("Stop analysing Strava.... and cut your hedge")

"The BBC have banned talking about the situation in Iraq on H2G2. If you believe this is censorship and takes away your freedom of speech, please post a message in the Petition For The Right Of Free Speech About Iraq thread. You can also talk about the Iraq policy at the bottom of this page"

This is the message on the petition page - "For the Right of Free Speech about Iraq". I think "freedom of speech" without further justifiation or clarification also implies a notion of rights, but we can differ over that one. smiley - smiley


In the interests of informed debate...

Post 4

spook

oh, didn't realise i'd put it there. it basically means the same thing, and i don't mind however. f you like you can post to the thread and remove the 'right' in the subject title.

spook


Key: Complain about this post