A Conversation for Tic Tacs

Cult mints...

Post 1

Uncle Ghengis

There seems to be a strange phenomenon arising... cult confectionary!
A lot of this phenomenon surrounds the humble peppermint. I first became aware of this by reading the H2G2 entry on Altoids http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/brunel/A291151, but it soon became clear that other manufacturers wanted a piece of the action and now there are several brands of 'cult peppermints' mostly sold in small tins (the packaging is an important part of the cult)

Altoids: Small strong mints, also available in Cinnamon & Wintergreen flavours - marketed with strangely 1950's pulp fiction style adverts.

Penguin Mints: These are sugar-free and caffeinated, also available in
cinnamon, chocolate (flavouring - not coated with), and 'decaffeinated'(!?) - These ones are my favourite so far.

Warp Mints: Small round tins of caffeinated minty tablets with a strange herbal taste - they contain Ginseng and Guarana. Also available in cinnamon and now lime flavour too.

XTZ Mints: Small and herbal caffeinated sugar-free mints with peppermint, spearmint, wintergreen, guarana, gingko-biloba and ginseng

Hypermints: Caffeinated again, but with sugar. Sorry, no pretty tin with this one...

All of these products are relatively expensive for what are after all "only mints" - but the idea seems to be that there is something strangely 'superior' or 'wierd' about them and their users.


Key: Complain about this post

Cult mints...

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more