A Conversation for Modern Etiquette

The reason cell phones are rude

Post 1

J

For the longest time, I couldn't understand why people thought that cell phones were so rude. But then I experienced it and still can't conclusively say why. It just is.

Perhaps the reason is that the one on the cell phone seems to be ignoring you, though in many situations they still would.

Perhaps it's that you just don't like single sided noise. You want to hear the response to every question, though I can't remember normal phones being considered rude.

Maybe the elitism, saying that I am above you for I am social. I have a cell phone and you aren't allowed to talk to me!!!

Or perhaps it's all of the above plus the added facts of being seemingly oblivious to them all.


(I like to passively insult people on the cell phone by saying "This guy next to me won't stop staring" when he defends himself, I put one finger to my mouth)

smiley - blacksheep


The reason cell phones are rude

Post 2

Santragenius V

I don't have any one thing against it - I just feel that it is in general not comme il faut to leave your mobile on when in meetings, in restaurants and of course especially not in theaters and cinemas.

Actually, afaik there is at least one (high level) restaurant in Copenhagen where you'll be politely but firmly asked to leave if your phone rings while you're having dinner.

OK by me...!


The reason cell phones are rude

Post 3

J

I don't find it very annoying myself, but rude yes. There's a big difference smiley - winkeye

smiley - blacksheep


Key: Complain about this post

The reason cell phones are rude

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more