A Conversation for Time - Concepts and Perceptions

Time is an illusion...

Post 1

Siletta Weaver, Keeper of exsessively long titles, Eclectic Mystic, Cynic, etc..

... and lunchtime doubly so.

According to my current philosophy, Time is simple a tool created by the Ultimate Divine to enable us to make sense of this universe. Of course, I also believe that this universe exists to enable us to learn about ourselves.


Time is an illusion...

Post 2

Feisor - -0- Generix I made it back - sortof ...

Interesting ..... "Time is simple a tool created by the Ultimate Divine to enable us to make sense of this universe." but the measurement of time, strictly speaking, is NOT necessary to enable analysis - but as time passes and we age, we seem to feel more of a need to make sense of this universe. Children simply accept that things ARE and it is only as they get older that they ask "Why?" or "How?"

"I also believe that this universe exists to enable us to learn about ourselves" - with all due respect, the idea that the universe exists to enable us to do anything is a little egocentric. Maybe DNA was right and the Universe (or at least the Earth) exists to enable white mice to analyse everything. Just kidding, what I mean is why does the Universe have to exist for any reason?? Surely it just exists and it is humankind who thinks that a reason is important. Sometimes I think that it is the conceit of our species (not intelligence)which sets us apart from other species.


Time is an illusion...

Post 3

Siletta Weaver, Keeper of exsessively long titles, Eclectic Mystic, Cynic, etc..

That 'WE' actually includes every living thing, both on and off the Earth. As far as I'm concerned Humans aren't the greatest of all life forms, nor are we even the greatest of life forms on Earth. (That would be Mice smiley - biggrin )

As far as I can see there are only two things we humans are the best at, changing the environment, and screwing up the Earth.

As I like to say: Man is not a rational Animal, man is a rationalising animal. smiley - biggrin


Time is an illusion...

Post 4

Caelestis

Did u ever think that time may just be an illusion created by the human mind? My thinking is that there is no such thing as "time". Its just something we have invented to make our existence seem easier. Have you ever noticed things seem to happen quicker when u are not watching clocks and things. That could be because your mind has no perception of "time" therefore u are working to your own internal clock.

This is how its always seemed to me.


Time is an illusion...

Post 5

Feisor - -0- Generix I made it back - sortof ...

Daubers - check out the thread "The mechanics of brain time" attached to the article - I think that you will find it fascinating smiley - biggrin

I'm not sure what "time" is - I think that it is something invented by "man" to measure the passing of lives rather than moments - but I'm not sure ... "The mechanics of brain time" poses some interesting questions - let me know what you think. smiley - cheers


Time is an illusion...

Post 6

furtim - Zaphodista Sympathiser

Did you ever think that maybe life itself is an illusion? Or that perhaps we're all trapped in a giant computer simulation to keep us enslaved as batteries for a cyborg menace?

Oh, wait... that was a movie. smiley - winkeye

What they forget to tell everyone in the psuedo-Zen class is that such postulations really make no difference at all. If life or time is an illusion, then so what? Much like viewing a good magic trick, knowing that time is an illusion does not make the illusion any less effective.

In short, all that crazy "Why?" stuff doesn't really matter. The real question is "Where shall we eat?" Sophistication. smiley - winkeye


Time is an illusion...

Post 7

Feisor - -0- Generix I made it back - sortof ...

Agreed - the most important thing is not "Why are we here?" but "As we are here what can we do to enjoy it?"

Thank goodness for smiley - stiffdrinksmiley - cheers


Time is an illusion...

Post 8

Caelestis

Too true!


Time is an illusion...

Post 9

Siletta Weaver, Keeper of exsessively long titles, Eclectic Mystic, Cynic, etc..

Humm, yes, what SHALL we eat?


Time is an illusion...

Post 10

furtim - Zaphodista Sympathiser

Don't you mean *where*? As in the three stages... How, Why, and Where? =)


Time is an illusion...

Post 11

Feisor - -0- Generix I made it back - sortof ...

smiley - laugh Glad you didn't include "who" smiley - biggrin

and what about "when" - but then I suppose that's what this thread is about smiley - zen


Time is an illusion...

Post 12

furtim - Zaphodista Sympathiser

No, no... the three stages in the development of civilisation! Survival, Inquiry, and Sophistication... How?, Why?, and Where?


Time is an illusion...

Post 13

furtim - Zaphodista Sympathiser

No, no... the three stages in the development of civilisation! Survival, Inquiry, and Sophistication... How?, Why?, and Where?


Time is an illusion...

Post 14

Feisor - -0- Generix I made it back - sortof ...

I thought that the three stages in the development of civilisation were "consume, be silent and die" - they are these days anyway smiley - biggrin


Time is an illusion...

Post 15

cbdmill

If you have any other beliefs on time I am interested in hearing more. In regard to humans, a friend of mine told me once, "if there are other life forms out there and they arrive after our time here on earth the last thing they are going to say is, 'those Humans sure had their (bad word for poo) together.' "


Time is an illusion...

Post 16

Feisor - -0- Generix I made it back - sortof ...

There was a really great discussion about brain time on the other thread http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/classic/F12230?thread=10875 I recently heard a great theory that the reason creatures perceive time differently is that all living things have a set number of heartbeats to live and time perception is directly linked to the number of heartbeats and the time that they take ie the speed of the heartbeat Interesting ..........


Time is an illusion...

Post 17

Researcher 193852

Time must exist. Time is a divider. If time hadn't existed everyting would happend at all the time and everyting eould be choas. Pow it's hard to say it good in english. (swedish user)


Time is an illusion...

Post 18

Feisor - -0- Generix I made it back - sortof ...

Researcher 193852 - it's an interesting idea isn't it? does time exist because we measure it or do we measure it because it exists?? smiley - laugh

BTW - if you would like to give yourself a name (numbers can be a little impersonal - and hard to remember smiley - laugh) you can do so by hitting the "preferences" button on your screen. If you are viewing in "goo" (dark blue background) the button is at the left hand side nestled in the goo - don't know where it is in alabaster (white background) cause I'm a goo fan - but I am sure that you will find it there somewhere smiley - biggrin

Welcome to h2g2 BTW - As you havent activated your personal space I have posted to this entry to say Hello. If you would like people to "pop in" please write something in your personal space so that we can leave messages.

I have made a "Hints and Links for New Researchers" page at <./>A719840</.> - if you go there it will lead you to all sorts of places which will help find your way around and get to know this wonderful place smiley - biggrin

smiley - cheers

Enjoy!!
Have fun!!!
and above all DON'T PANIC!!!

smiley - peacedove
Feisor - ACE (that means Assistant Community Editor)

Let me know if you need any help smiley - biggrin





Time is an illusion...

Post 19

Siletta Weaver, Keeper of exsessively long titles, Eclectic Mystic, Cynic, etc..

AH! But how do you know Time doesn't exist only because it's the only way our puny minds can make sense of the chaos?


Time is an illusion...

Post 20

Researcher 209222

Is not what you have written about what you think a concieted opinion in and of itself? Perhaps a childs way of life as just accepting or not accepting things as they are is better. However would a grown person to do this could be the same as locking a door and throwing away the key. Why have a door permenately locked this way when it would be more logical to simply have a wall in its place. It is reduced to what serves a better purpose, the door or the wall? the door? why so while it is forever locked? the wall? why so when a room is on the otherside.

acceptence : to recognize and offer no conflict
denial : to recognize and offer conflict
presentation : to show another to provoke action/non-action

a thought...
J.E.D.H.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more