A Conversation for Making Tea in the Australian Bush

Bush Tea

Post 1

Bern Tumber

How well I remember brewing tea in the bush last spring. We were on a trip out from Jowalbinna. The guide (Dave) startled me first by leaving the keys to the Nissan Patrol in the ignition as we left. "Well if anything happens to me, you'll be able to drive out" came the reply. Assuming we can find the car, I thought, setting the "waypoint" on my GPS surreptitiously. Then we walked on for a bit, saw some Aboriginal cave paintings and ended up at a water-hole for lunch and a swim. The fireplace was already there, complete with fire-blackened billy and a tripod, so all we had to do was to gather up some dry wood - and there was plenty of that around. To start the fire, we used the bark from a tree which was a bit like layers of newspaper dampened and pressed together then allowed to dry. Mugs, plates and cutlery has been left in a natural shelf in the rock alongside the water-hole. We'd carried our own water to make the tea - opting not to use the water from the hole. Apart from that, Bob had just dived in and I didn't fancy drinking the water after that. Yes, the tea was good. So was the swimming...and so was the second cup of tea. Not as good as the first, but still good.
Second strange thing was when we were leaving. I suggested to Dave that it might be good practice to pour a billyful of water over the embers of the fire to make sure it was out. He said "No, leave it." and in response to my question about bush-fires, said that they burn the bush every year, just to prevent bush-fires.
When we got back to the Nissan, everything was as we had left it. Wheels and battery were still there. Not like UK at all then.
I wish I was back there now, instead of in Slough.
Oh well. Start saving up the Air Miles again.
Cheers!


Bush Tea

Post 2

Smudger879n

I dont think this one comes under this heading, but the bush story brought it back, A long time ago when I was a teen in the local climbing club. We used to go up the mountains with the RAF Kinloss mountain rescue team on exercises. One occasion which was by no means an exercise, I was left high up at base camp, and told to pitch up and brew up.They were expecting to bring back bodies. Any way the source of power for this brew was basicly a "small jet engine" which was difficult to light! I had filled the fanny (pot) up with snow, and shut the flap when I returned, as it was a a blizzard out side! In my haste to light this "rocket" I forgot to re-open the flaps (in order to allow exhaust burn to escape) Well you can imaginesmiley - wah, Im stuck up there, no tent!, andsmiley - blue. So had to dig in!& hoist the radio mast so they could see me. Funny thing? I was never asked to brew up again?


Bush Tea

Post 3

Barneys Bucksaws

A lot of years ago, I had an Australian friend, who, with her Canadian husband, used to go camping with us. She introduced me to the wonders of the Billy. Per Peg's instructions, I made one with a big juice can, and a wire coat hanger. We had some wonderful brew-ups at our evening camp fires. I even learned how to swing it properly to settle the leaves. A cup of bush tea, with a spoonful of sugar and a spot of rum. It would warm you up quickly on the chilliest of nights in the Rocky Mountains of British Columbia. Every time I have boiled tea it brings back fond memories of my friends.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Making Tea in the Australian Bush

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more