A Conversation for Skelmersdale, Lancashire, UK

Wild Food for FREE!

Post 1

skelmersdale WN8

I read the pages about Skelmersdale and I agree that maybe there will be a time when Skelmersdale again may shine!.

We have the largest roundabout in Europe and lots of various other sizes - maybe we our slogan should read 'The roundabout capital of the world' or 'Visit Skelmersdale and you'll be driven around the bend'! When other towns around are regenerating (and doing it with style) we are being forgotten and left behind again but as food trends evolve and we are being told that we need to be more self sufficient it is clear that as we have been left as we are we are suddenly finding that we are surrounded by these beautiful FREE foods ripe for the taking. As we have always had this around us we have not noticed that it was here. We have land full of Wild Garlic (only to whiff - not to take if its protected!) in the Spring, we have just had trees heaving with Wild Cherries oozing with juice and now there are the hedgerow bounties, blackcurrant, wild raspberries etc and I can say I am particularly looking forward to the Sloes and Wild Damsons which are weighing down the branches waiting to ripen, the only problem is getting the elderberries before the birds. Finally last week I spotted the Hazelnut trees but it's a bit early yet. I'll leave them for a while. Now is the time that we shouldn't let everyone know about these treasures and also the medicinal bounties that we can also find round these haunts. Does anyone know of any other places where we can foreage.

smiley - strawberry


Key: Complain about this post

Wild Food for FREE!

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more