A Conversation for Chicago-style Hot Dogs and Hot Dog Stands

Yummy Indeed

Post 1

Blahdeedah

Bear in mind that preferred toppings for hot dogs will vary as you travel across the U.S.. For example, as noted by the reviewer, the typical New Yorker will favor sauerkraut as a topping. In Detroit, however, the locals enjoy what they refer to as a "Coney Island," i.e. a hot dog topped with chili, bright yellow mustard and raw onions, with no substitutions allowed. Not surprisingly, most of the many restaurants around the Detroit area that serve them also offer complimentary mints in a dish near near the cashier to counteract their noxious effect on the diner's breath.


Yummy Indeed

Post 2

asusag

You forgot the hot peppers! No good without those! :D


Yummy Indeed

Post 3

jaz'd(ace & yada yada *sigh* chocolate yada)

Personally, I'd prefer to use a spicy spanish chorizo sausage in place of the bland traditional wiener...or perhaps a hot italian sausage...& yes of course the hot peppers (not just a few either!), as well as caramelized onions & perhaps a dijon mustard. smiley - smiley


Yummy Indeed

Post 4

Underseer

Yep. It isn't a proper Chicago style dog without the pickled hot peppers.

Also, the article mentions cucumber slices OR pickle spear, but most places I've seen put both on.

Lastly, it's called a "Chicago-style dog" in the suburbs and elsewhere. In Chicago it's properly called an "all-beef wit' everything."


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Chicago-style Hot Dogs and Hot Dog Stands

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more