The Speed of Modern Life

0 Conversations

The speed of 'Modern Life' is notoriously inconsistent and there are many examples to prove this. If an Australian sheep herder set-up a webcam in his field and one day someone was watching it, saw that the sheep herder was in trouble from a wolf ten seconds away, the guy on the other end could send him an e-mail warning him of the danger in 4 seconds, thereby saving his life. Despite this, it still takes three days for cheques to clear.

Inside a tube train

Since the invention of the tram people have wondered why all forms of public transport turn up in threes, yet you could end up waiting a lifetime for just one to show.

We can travel to the moon in four days, however, try getting into London during peak hours and you'll wonder how this is possible.

Maybe the reason the Speed of Modern Life seems to change so frequently is because of a life-style in the UK and US which has so many contrasting elements. Many people in the City of London, after a day in high-powered, high-energy business meetings, relax through
Yoga, yet the number of psychiatrists is on the increase.

This reporter spoke to a 'Neo' (address withheld), who told us, 'Time is perception, nothing is real'. What is this paranoid mass-murderer talking about? Nobody knows, but it makes a bloody good film.

Oberon2001

28.11.02 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A884027

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more