A Conversation for Duffel Coats

Nice

Post 1

Seamus...the forbidden


Nice entry PSG.smiley - biggrin

I love duffel coats and donkey jackets. I used to wear donkey jackets a lot. All the ones I wore had three buttons, one right at the neck, and a black PVC lining on the upper part; shoulders, yoke? Sometimes this was on the outside of the jacket instead. I have never worn, or even seen a donkey jacket with a tartan lining.

If my memory serves me well the coat worn by Michael Foot at the Cenotaph was a grey-green shortie car coat, with buttons rather than toggles, although this was described as a donkey jacket by the press. (I wonder why?)

I also seem to remember, that duffel coats, when I was young (don't ask),
Came in camel, navy, black, and brown, for gents, and in red, grey, navy, and black for ladies.

Seamus


Nice

Post 2

Researcher PSG

Hello Seamus
Glad you like the entry, but I can't claim responsibility for it. I was just one of the many people that added there two pence.smiley - smiley

Researcher PSG


Nice

Post 3

davy_boy

I used to like the Donkey Jacket, as you describe, with three buttons, one right at the neck, and a black PVC lining on the upper part but now much prefer the Duffel Coat.

I used to go to Bording School, and the famous black Duffel with light brown "toggles" were regulation wear.
The one I have now is black with black toggles, and it's great.

I think Jonathan Creek has restarted something here.

Dave smiley - biggrin


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more