The Sporadic Diary of a University Fresher

0 Conversations

For those of you who haven't come across me before, I'm a fresher1 at the University of York in the UK, reading history. I thought some of the hootoo community might be interested to hear what life's like here, whether for nostalgia or any other reason. So read on...

After The Holidays

Since I came back from the Christmas holiday, things have been a bit hectic. That is, after the first 5 days or so when I had nothing to do, as unlike many people, I had no exams (yet). For one thing, I went to a 3 hour emergency first aid course, which was interesting. My regular readers (if I have any) may recall that I am the Women's Welfare Officer for my college JCRC. In this capacity, I've had to attend a University Welfare Committee meeting, and will continue to do so every week, as well as a JCR meeting. The JCRC meetings have been eye-opening. There is lots involved that we just take for granted, such as finding a better deal for the pool tables, and running events. I also have to go to College Welfare Committee, consisting of me and some other JCR members, and some academic staff. By the time you read this, I'll have had my welfare training.

Unfortunately, I can't make the first one because some friends and I are - drum roll please - viewing a house! Accommodation on campus is only for a year, so we have to move into rented private-sector accommodation next year. Our group is sorted, it's just a matter of finding a nice, 5 bed roomed house close to uni. Not such an easy proposition when you consider the amount of competition. Updates on the house front in the next edition of my diary, so stay tuned!

I had a great night out the other night. We were bored so decided to do one of York's many ghost walks. I'd actually done the same one before, but the guide was a different man and all but one of the stories were different. We then met friends in a nice local pub (which was almost empty - but then again, York does have more pubs than days of the year, so perhaps that's not too surprising) then to a cocktail lounge. The cocktails were very expensive, but also very nice, and the venue had beds - yes, beds - covered in cushions on which to sip your drinks. After that we went a local nightclub, which we hadn't been planning on. All in all, a great night.

Between all this, I've had to find time to do some work, as well, of course, as spending time on hootoo! It's been fun though.

The Sporadic Diary of a University Fresher Archive

Elentari

26.01.06 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1A new first year student.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A8811047

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more