Bacon and Lentil Warmer

1 Conversation

Bacon and Lentil Warmer

Lentil soup.

There's lots of talk lately of people searching for cheap, filling, and warming meals over here in the UK.

Here's one that my grandparents used to make from leftovers.

Ingredients:

  • One small unsmoked bone-in ham shank, or leftovers from an unsmoked gammon joint, or simply used chopped up unsmoked back bacon. (Sorry America1)
    Cut into 1cm cubes. (About 250g of meat)
  • 2 large onions, finely chopped.
  • 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped.
  • 2 tsp dried parsley.
  • 2 cans of tomatoes.
  • Chicken stock.
  • 1 tsp paprika.
  • Salt and pepper to taste.
  • 250g dried red split lentils.

Lentil soup.

Instructions:

Cook lentils as per instructions on package, drain, and keep to one side.

In a frying pan cook onion, garlic and herbs til translucent. (Don't brown) add diced ham and stir well for a few minutes.

In a large heavy pan add chopped tomatoes and twice as much chicken stock.

Add the cooked onion and bacon to the pan, then the cooked red lentils. Add paprika and salt and pepper.

Cook over a low heat, stirring often, until thickened (about 15-20 minutes) add more water if too thick. check seasoning.

Serve with thick bread and lots of black pepper.

(If you're meat free, simply use more lentils, or add finely chopped carrots and veg stock.)

Lentil soup.
FWR Archive

FWR

13.11.23 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1Post Editor: No idea. 'Back bacon' is Canadian bacon, which isn't called that in Canada. Try some unsmoked ham, back bacon, side meat, whatever you've got.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A88039515

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more