The h2g2 Post 04.09.23

0 Conversations

A crest bearing the legend The H2G2 PostA crest bearing the legend The H2G2 Post


Posted: 4th September 2023

This week's theme is 'Sweet Dreams' and the background is dark blue. Images: An orange lily, red-and-white fuchsias, deep blue petunias, a large wooden statue of Merlin with a Welsh inscription on his robe, a sleeping striped tabby cat, a giant seagull swooping in on a sign saying 42, and in the centre, a sign in French that says On this exact spot, Napoleon Bonaparte, 1769-1821, has never been..

The time has finally come, friends: the last two chapters of the last two novellas from the project we started last November appear in this week's issue. Okay, Caiman will be back with an epilogue next week, but essentially, we are done. Whew. I for one am knackered and ready for a rest. Surprisingly, everybody else has pronounced themselves ready and willing to write sequels starting in November. Sequels. Maybe to these books, maybe to others previously written. We shall see. Anyway, for the next couple of months it's safe to venture all the way down the page, you bibliophobes. We'll be limiting ourselves to short fiction.

This week's special feature involves signs. The signs come from various places in England and France, where our contributors encountered them, scratched their heads, took a picture, and decided that it's your turn to scratch your heads.

Speaking of headscratching, can you. . .

  • Figure out what that thing is Galaxy Babe found in Wales?
  • Answer the quiz question about the lake?
  • Translate the Napoleon sign?
  • Deconstruct Paige's art exhibit?
  • Identify all the flowers in the video?



We can pretty much guarantee that you'll come across something in this week's issue that you've never seen, heard, or known about before – whether it's that bird with the word 'gorgeous' in its name, or the sights from South Wales, or Awix's latest cinema discovery.

Read, enjoy, and share with your friends and acquaintances. Have a great week out there, and remember to appreciate the birds, the flowers, the fruit, and the nice weather while we still have it. Fall will be coming, and ghosts.


Dmitri Gheorgheni



Mailbox.
Write the Post at:
postteamhg-at-gmail-dot-com
Tweet at the Post and Edited Guide:
@h2g2_Guide



Quote of the Week: Enjoyed a tour around Bembridge Fort on the Isle of Wight today.

Built in 1867 as a final retreat if overly aggressive French holiday makers visited, this paragon of polygonal pugnacity provided patriotic protection until 1948. Well worth a visit.


Dreadnought Holiday on Twitter
Soldiers and sailors with a variety of large and small dogs.


September 2023 Post Challenge:
The Dogs of War


Video Extra:
Why They Call Them Bouncy Castles
by DG
(Featuring CGI)
Click here in Ripley


GORGEOUS NATURE
It's Really Called
the Gorgeous Bushshrike,
Okay?

Gorgeous Bushshrike by Willem.

MINDFULNESS


SIGNS OF THE TIMES


Cheese Pass

Waymarker that says Fromage, French for cheese.


THINGS SEEN




Obligatory Cat
Sagrys on the sofa, by Willem.
SEE YOU IN THE FUNNY PAPERS
  • Art
  • Star Trek tribute.

SERIAL KILLERS
Ongoing Novellas
(And a Surprise Photo Guest!)


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A88034006

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more