The h2g2 Post 21.08.23

0 Conversations

A crest bearing the legend The H2G2 PostA crest bearing the legend The H2G2 Post


Posted: 21st August 2023

 The images for this week, entitled Ticket to Ride: Journeys and Their Tales: A sign on an old bridge in Dorset announcing that those who deliberately damage the bridge are committing a felony and will be transported for life, a junkyard of toy cars with a card for accident aftercare, a decorated bicycle, a blue police box in a garden, a sleeping back-and-white cat, a boat in a river, a door made of flint in a brick wall, and a cute toad.

They've done it again, folks. Been places, done things, brought the receipts. Willem has a bird you've never heard of, pretty, of course. Tav found a cute toad. Paige found a dragonfly, though it tried to hide. There are blackberries, yum.

Bluebottle noticed an intriguing sign from days of yore. He suggests that Dorset might have the solution to North Carolina's kamikaze truck drivers: if they damage the bridge, transport 'em. Yes, I said, but to where? We're thinking Florida might be a suitable punishment.

There are more signs. Also more Dutch art. Speaking of that bridge, river traffic has been heavy this summer in the UK, where everybody seems to be boating on the inland waterways.

You can spot surprising things if you keep your eyes open. Paige thinks he maybe saw The Doctor – or at least his vehicle. I saw an anthropomorphic narcissus, but only in my mind's eye. Then I grabbed hold of an AI, and now you can see it, too. Of course, you may wish you could un-see it.

Of course there is humour. And a quiz. And some more fiction, as Caiman and I work out the ends of our novellas and direct our characters' destinies. I am well aware that everyone stopped reading mine a long time ago. That's what I get for actually writing a book-length manuscript, not to mention the fact that 'metaphysical fantasy' isn't a common genre. Anyhow, we're almost done, so no sense in your starting now. (If you're crazy enough to want to read this stuff, there's a link below to the archive containing all the novellas.)

SashaQ has an interesting report about what you can learn from genealogy research. Awix has cinema. And if you fancy doing some writing of your own, take a look at this month's Post challenge prompt.

Delve into this week's issue, with or without fiction, and leave nice comments, please: it's August and contributors may be in the doldrums, same as you. Have a great week out there and remember to complain about the weather, no matter what it's like. That way people will think you are normal.


Dmitri Gheorgheni



Mailbox.
Write the Post at:
postteamhg-at-gmail-dot-com
Tweet at the Post and Edited Guide:
@h2g2_Guide



Quote of the Week: You know, I thought about it and maybe my boss is a narcissus, too. That would explain lots of things.

Tavaron
A refined lady playing the piano.


August 2023 Post Challenge:
A Piano Mystery


Video Extra:
Sagrys on Catnip
by Willem
Click here in Ripley


NATURAL WORLD
Kurrichane Buttonquail

Kurrichane Buttonquail by Willem.

UNUSUAL MENTAL ACTIVITY


VIEW FROM THE BRIDGE


Surf's Up
(Video)

Pier at Cleethorpes by SashaQ.


SIGNS AND WONDERS




Sideways Tribute
to Dr Seuss

An AI-generated image of a Dr Seuss Narcissus, with appropriately googly eyes, created by DG.
SEE YOU IN THE FUNNY PAPERS
SERIAL KILLERS
Ongoing Novellas
(And an Essay!)


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A88033980

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more