Arucas Rum

0 Conversations

Arucas Rum

Statue of man in an old-fashioned suit with a cigar in front of the rum factory.

Over a century before it appeared in the Caribbean, sugarcane had been farmed in the area surrounding the Arucas mountains in the North of Gran Canaria.

But, once the process of making rum had been discovered in Barbados in the 1700s, the Canary Islands sugarcane farmers had a new use for their crops.

The factory of San Pedro, the oldest in Europe, diversified from sugar and molasses production into distilling rum until its closure in the early 20th century.

In 1935 Don Alfredo Martin Reyes reopened the factory, renaming it as the 'Arehucas Distillery'.

Now known as 'the temple of rum', as well as being a working distillery, producing 3.5 million bottles, and holding 4300 barrels of rum, it also offers guided tours. Don Alfredo's statue still welcomes visitors to the site.

Arucas rum factory tour.Arucas rum factory tour.Arucas rum factory tour.

Guests are gently reminded that the smoking area is on the far side of the car park. Naked flames and alcohol fumes do not make a good mix!

The tour takes visitors through the 5 stages of rum production, from cane to bottle. The vast rows of casks emit a heady fragrance as we walked around.

Barrels elaborately carved, or simply signed, by the rich and famous, racked and carefully labelled as they age. (A list of celebrity customers is on the official Arehucas website.)

The tour concludes with a tasting. Up to eight varieties on offer, or for an extra 7 euros, the chance to sample the finest rums, including the £180 (UK price) Captain Kidd 30 year old single barrel golden rum. (The €7 is refundable…. if you are fortunate enough to be able to afford a bottle from the gift shop!)

For us mere mortals, the regular brands are (rather surprisingly) priced much cheaper than in local shops and the duty free concessions in the airport.

Be rude not to, really…..

Arucas rum factory tour.Arucas rum factory tour.Arucas rum factory tour.
FWR Archive

FWR

29.05.23 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A88029011

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more