Renfrew's Big Case: Episode 16

2 Conversations

Renfrew's Big Case: Episode 16

Renfrew the robot with a magnifying glass.

When Sigismund emerged from his bedroom the next morning, Renfrew was planning the week's activities. Or maybe they were nonactivities, as he couldn't do much as a result of his injuries. "I can't serve you your usual breakfast," the android said sadly. "I called Espresso Express a minute ago, and they're putting you on their morning route, so at least you'll have coffee and those blueberry muffins you love so much. Lunch and dinner are up in the air. Maybe you could have lunch at Cantonese Yum Yum. They have those garlicky egg rolls you love so much.

"When is Marvella going to have you repaired?" Sigismund asked.

"They called this morning, and I didn't have the heart to wake you. Their insurance will foot the bill for a substitute android for as long as you need it. I can't authorize that. You have to make the call yourself."

"But nobody could replace you," said Sigismund. He reached for the phone and began dialing.

"One more thing before I forget. Willy Wonderful called to apologize for what that boy did with his bat. It seems that the kid got his hands on the very bat that was used to hit that incredible home run that crashed through a tenth-floor window miles from the ballpark. He's sending you a Thnaksgiving turkey."

"Oh, my god, Thanksgiving is less than a week away," Sigismund groaned, putting down the phone.

"Look on the bright side. You had promised to bring the turkey for the family's dinner. Now you won't have to cook one. You'll even have one for free. Willy knows a caterer who can stuff and roast it for you. here's his number. You can call him after you call the studio."

Sigismund resumed dialing. "Hello, Marvella? About that substitute android. How soon can you send it?" he covered the receiver with his hand. "She wants to know what kind we want."

"It's up to you. You can have Betty Boop for all I care. Just remember that it's temporary."

"Can you send Betty Boop over?" Sigismund told Marvella. "You can? Great. "Renfrew, she'll be here in half an hour."

"You sound too enthusiastic," Renfrew chided him.

The doorbell rang. Sigismund let the Espresso Express woman wheel her magic coffee machine into the room. She guided Sigismund through the vast menu of lattes and cappuccinos and decafs, then pushed some buttons and handed him his coffee sixty seconds later. "Cinnamon buns are on us," she said.

Renfrew sat in silent contemplation as Sigismund noisily munched his pastry and sipped his coffee. It wasn't until he was done with his meal that he realized that Renfrew was communicating with Orly again.

Post Novella Project 2022/2023 Archive

Paulh

06.03.23 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A88021325

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more