So Cute! Clickbait from 1907

1 Conversation

So Cute! Clickbait from 1907

A mama cat with a kitten and two bunnies. Go away, kid.

Chatterbox was a dreadful children's magazine that was published from 1866 to 1955. It taught older kids all the virtues: class consciousness, xenophobia, and sexism among others. It's morbid as all get out, too: kids get menaced by runaway wagons, kidnapped by cliché gypsies, and learn to read tombstones. Give us a break.

'It didn't do us any harm,' I can hear the Colonel Blimps of yesteryear bleating. Oh, yeah? I have seen the history of the 20th Century, and beg to differ.

The woodcut above is based on a true story. Here's the text:

A Strange Family

A True Anecdote

A reader of Chatterbox, aged twelve, sends the following anecdote of his pets:

'My uncle gave me a shilling to buy two young rabbits, which I brought home and placed beside my sister's cat; she received them kindly, as if they were her own. The following morning I went down to the hutch, scarcely thinking that my rabbits would be alive1: great was my surprise when I saw the cat sitting happily with the kitten and my rabbits2. It proved very interesting to watch them play. Many people came to see them, as they were considered a curiosity3.'

I hope you enjoyed that one. Now back to the story about the Russian count's kid kidnapped by gypsies…

Literary Corner Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

11.01.21 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1Huh? Then why did you leave them there, nitwit?2I've got news for you, kid: those are not your rabbits any more. They're the cat's rabbits.3And so are you, Egbert.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A88010697

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more