Adventures of a Doctor in the US Civil War

1 Conversation

Adventures of a Doctor in the US Civil War

Dr McKnight in 1857

In the Editor's November project, Coming of Age in Brookville, there's a little boy character named Billy McNab. I based his story on one of my main informants for all things Brookvillian, Dr WJ McKnight. Dr McKnight was born in 1836. His father died when his son was just over a year old, and Billy was raised by his mother and older siblings. He grew up to be a very hard-working doctor, as well as a newspaperman and state senator. He also opened a drug store in Brookville, which sold pharmacy goods as well as dyes, varnishes, and soaps. Sort of a combination hardware store and 'Drogerie'.

I'm really grateful to Dr McKnight for all the stories he shared. Here's one about him, taken from an advertising flyer printed up in 1913 to explain the history of his pharmacy. It tells an interesting family story from the US Civil War, when he was a young man. And it shows us an artefact from that time.

A Pass Through the Lines

Dr McKnight's 1861 military pass.

About the 15th of September, 1861, Dr. McKnight enlisted for the 105th Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers, and was transported as a soldier to Camp Jameson, near Alexandria, Virginia. With true patriotic purposes he was willing to serve the country in any capacity, but on meeting his brother, the Colonel, he found him opposed to the Doctor entering the service and was told that he would not permit him to be enrolled or mustered in the 105th. The Colonel said, 'Dr., there are but us two McKnights, I am single, 1 expect to be killed, you are married, you return home and rear some future McKnights.'

Hoping that the Colonel would relent, the Doctor remained with the regiment several weeks, doing important service for it, without money and without price. Finally the Colonel gave Dr. McKnight a soldier's transportation home and ordered him to leave camp. The following army
passes will partly explain what has been here said:

Camp Jamison, October 16th, 1861.

Guards will pass Dr. W. J. McKnight to Washington City on important private business. A. A. McKNIGHT, Colonel.

Approved: Brig. Genl. C. D. Jameson.

C. H. Potter, A. A. A. Genl.

Colonel McKnight was killed in the battle of Chancellorsville May 3d, 1863.

Literary Corner Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

23.11.20 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A88005828

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more