Vienna 1880 - 4 Apprentices

1 Conversation


Meanwhile Xaver Travnitschek had come running up to the front door of the café. He slowed down as he entered the vestibule – he had already gotten into trouble once for almost smashing the glass door and knocking over the hatstand at the door. In addition he was carrying a stack of newspapers which he didn't want to drop – again, he would get into trouble.


'Guten Morgen!'


Xaver put the newspapers on a table, took off his coat and put it away and checked wether his suit looked acceptably tidy. Then he proceeded to exchange all the out of date newspapers in the newspaper-holders for new ones. He had also managed to get hold of a few more foreign newspapers today – although he knew more famous cafés had a much better collection of course.


Xaver was the café's Piccolo, the waiter's apprentice. He wasn't allowed to serve coffee yet but was tasked with all kinds of other work. He was 15 years old, rather thin and had yet to grow into his long arms and legs. He had hard to tame black hair and did not have any luck with growing a beard so far.


Only a few minutes later Anton Zimmernann arrived, he was the baker's apprentice and tasked with daily deliveries of fresh bread rolls and other bakery goods. There was still flour on his apron and what seemed to be a piece of dried dough stuck in one of his eyebrows. The two boys exchanged a few jokes util Anton was payed and shooed out of the door to return to his master.


Meanwhile there was light outside, the sun had come up somewhere. Probably behind a house. There were plenty of houses here. Some of them were old, only one or two storeys high, like the café. But there were also the new ones, with their posh facades and many floors, housing who knows how many people. Those who could afford it lived on the lower floors at the front of the house, the others had to make do with the rear buildings across the courtyards, stacked like sardines in a tin. There was lots of money to be made for those who owned a house like that.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A88004388

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more