Show and Tell

1 Conversation

Show and Tell

Father and Son Lions by Freewayriding

'He's really upset, Sam, can you please go talk to him, love?'

Samson made a show of stretching before leaving the console, 'Need to stretch my legs anyway, I'll check in on him.' He ran his fingers through her hair, giving her ear a friendly tug as he left.

In the small cabin at the rear of the vehicle, Leo sat cross-legged on his bunk, surrounded by various items he'd collected on this trip. Samson felt his heart ache as the cub looked up with tears in his eyes.

'I lost it, Pops, the best one yet, and I lost it!' He sobbed.

'Hey now, big fella! No need for tears, I'm sure you got some great stuff for show and tell there?'

Samson made a point of inspecting the pieces of bone and flints arranged on the bed. 'Really cool stuff!'

'But not as cool as my bone statue Dad, proper Proboscidean tusk. I put it in the ship's renderer and did all the settings myself, it was just so….'

Samson held his cub tight and let him cry. Stroking his tiny mane until the sobbing subsided.

He reached down and lifted the wet face to his and whispered.

'Obviously, Leo, no matter how much I'd like to, we can't go back now. Rules is rules, as my Pappa always said, go visit, collect some bits and pieces, maybe eat a few of the locals!' His eyes twinkled as a smile spread on his cub's muzzle.

'You do realize, son, and this is the really cool thing about visiting these worlds, that maybe, just maybe, one day in the future, someone else will find that beautiful statue and will treasure it, whilst marvelling at the creativity of a certain little lion cub!'

He gave the cub a lick and went back to the bridge, setting a course for home.

Freewayriding Archive

Freewayriding

20.04.20 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87979810

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more