A Conversation for 'Dogma' - the Film

Edited Guide Writing Workshop: A87965851 - 'Dogma' - the Film

Post 1

Bluebottle

Entry: 'Dogma' - the Film - A87965851
Author: Bluebottle - U43530

Queuing smiley - devilsmiley - angel

<BB<


A87965851 - 'Dogma' - the Film

Post 2

Gnomon - time to move on

Dogma

two exiled angels living in Wisconsin -- I think it would be clearer if you call them fallen angels

they will be allowed back into heaven having led blameless lives -->
they will be allowed back into heaven as though they had led blameless lives

Smith had been unable to cast his preferred choices for the film, intending Joey Lauren Adams to play Bethany, however as Linda Fiorentino had starred in the highly successful big budget blockbuster Men In Black (1997), she was the studio's preferred choice.
-- misuse of however. Best to split it up:

Smith was unable to cast his preferred choices for the film, intending Joey Lauren Adams to play Bethany. As Linda Fiorentino had starred in the highly successful big budget blockbuster Men In Black (1997), however, she was the studio's preferred choice.

Naturally Emma Thompson was considered to be God, however she was unavailable due to pregnancy and wishing to concentrate on her family.
-- misuse of however. Best to change it to "but":
Naturally Emma Thompson was considered to be God, but she was unavailable due to pregnancy and wished to concentrate on her family.

outside his budget as well as comfort zone -->
outside his budget as well as his comfort zone

Instead then head of Miramax -->
Instead the then head of Miramax

It's Dog-Eat-Dogma World -->
It's a Dog-Eat-Dogma World

I'm not sure that your explanation of Papal Infallability is correct. I'd say rather that the Pope is directly inspired by God when making statements 'ex cathedra' (with the full authority of office) so anything he says must be true.

It is the first film in the series to be a road movie, a format that would be repeated in later films, however the heaven and hell theme would not.
-- misuse of however. Use "although" instead.

Catholicism Wow! campaigns A Jaws homage -- there's a missing full stop after campaigns

Fans of Silent Bob and Jay expressed disappointed -->
Fans of Silent Bob and Jay expressed disappointment

in a similar way to Indiana Jones throws Nazis off
in a similar way to Indiana Jones throwing Nazis off

As with all films in the series there is a reference to Star Wars; Jay compares Bethany
-- the semicolon would be better as a colon, since the first part introduces the second part

You should remove the last sentence about Harvey Weinstein, since that court case is still in progress.

smiley - smiley G


A87965851 - 'Dogma' - the Film

Post 3

Bluebottle

Thanks for your comments. Most of the minor tweaks I've amended straight away.

The two areas that weren't so straight-forward are firstly that of Papal Infallibility – I've reworded this again in a way that is consistent with the film's interpretation (the film specifically quotes 'Whatever you bind on Earth shall be bound in Heaven' as meaning that they can get into Heaven rather than mentioning the Pope speaking 'ex Cathedra', you see).

The other is that Weinstein was found guilty of 'third-degree rape' and 'first-degree sexual assault' at his first trial today, so I've tweaked the last sentence accordingly. You are right, though, that we should uphold 'innocent until proven guilty'.

<BB<


A87965851 - 'Dogma' - the Film

Post 4

Gnomon - time to move on

I did actually write that just before the result of the trial was announced.


A87965851 - 'Dogma' - the Film

Post 5

Gnomon - time to move on

On the subject of Papal Infallability, it is certainly more important to present Kevin Smith's view of it than mine.smiley - smiley


A87965851 - 'Dogma' - the Film

Post 6

SashaQ - happysad

This is looking good smiley - ok

I like the introduction - sets the scene succinctly smiley - ok

"a Catholic recruitment drive that coincides with his church" - 'coincides'?

"Bartleby particularly seeks revenge" - revenge on humanity?

"Naturally Emma Thompson was considered to be God" - why natural?

"Other Christian denominations, both Orthodox and Protestant" - does this mean that Christian denominations are divided into Catholic, Orthodox and Protestant, so eg Anglicans, Methodists, etc fit into one of those groups as their umbrella term?

Could you rearrange the final paragraphs to end the Entry on a stronger note?

smiley - ok


A87965851 - 'Dogma' - the Film

Post 7

Bluebottle

Thanks for your comments, I've made some changes.

And here are some explanations too:

"a Catholic recruitment drive that coincides with his church" - 'coincides'?
Yes – coincide – to occur at the same time, to agree with or tally. The recruitment drive occurs at the same time as his church's centenary, and the centenary plan aims to bring people into the specific church, an aim which is compatible with his wider Catholic recruitment drive which aims to increase attendance at Catholic churches in general.

"Bartleby particularly seeks revenge" - revenge on humanity?
Not especially, he is an angry young man/ancient angel smiley - angel and just out for bloodthirsty revenge, but denied the ability to gain vengeance on the Almighty, his vengeance is unleashed on those nearby. Just like a moody teen who is told off by his parents and then lashes out and stamps on smiley - ant because it are nearby.

"Naturally Emma Thompson was considered to be God" - why natural?
If you have cast Alan Rickman to be the Voice of God and you want to cast an actress as God to stand alongside him, who would you cast other than Emma Thompson?
http://film.avclub.com/love-actually-the-artistic-friendship-of-alan-rickman-1798243554


"Other Christian denominations, both Orthodox and Protestant" - does this mean that Christian denominations are divided into Catholic, Orthodox and Protestant, so eg Anglicans, Methodists, etc fit into one of those groups as their umbrella term?
The vast majority of Christian denominations do indeed. Anglicans and nonconformist denominations including, but certainly not limited to, Methodists, Baptists, United Reformists, Anabaptists, Lutherian, Pentecostal and Quakers etc are Protestant. Coptics fit under Orthodox.
Nontrinitarian denominations generally aren't considered to truly follow the Christian faith as they reject the principle of God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit all other denominations share (these include Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons, Church of Christ Scientist, Spiritualism etc)
This, though, is a potential smiley - canofworms

<BB<


A87965851 - 'Dogma' - the Film

Post 8

SashaQ - happysad

smiley - ok

Aha! "As part of a Catholic recruitment drive that coincides with his church in New Jersey's centennial celebration" - I read it that the recruitment drive occurred at the same time as his church during New Jersey's centennial celebration smiley - laugh

"If you have cast Alan Rickman to be the Voice of God and you want to cast an actress as God to stand alongside him, who would you cast other than Emma Thompson?" aha smiley - eureka

Thank you - I didn't know that about the umbrella terms for denominations smiley - ok


A87965851 - 'Dogma' - the Film

Post 9

Bluebottle

To quote the phrase taught to Father Jack in 'Father Ted', 'That would be an ecumenical matter.'

<BB<


A87965851 - 'Dogma' - the Film

Post 10

SashaQ - happysad

smiley - ok


A87965851 - 'Dogma' - the Film

Post 11

h2g2 Guide Editors

Congratulations! Your Guide Entry is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've moved this Review Conversation to the entry itself.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more