A Musical Review

1 Conversation

A Musical Review

Opera glasses showing a conductor and an opera singer

My friends and relations know that I think classical composers were grossly overpaid for doing very lttle work, and yet they keep on giving me tickets to Symphony Hall.

Last night there was nothing good on TV, so I reluctantly used one of those tickets. It was, as I had feared, mostly a disappointment. The concert started with Haydn's 'Surprise Symphony.' The only surprise was that Haydn got paid for writing one chord, surrounded 22 minutes of silence. Outrageous!

Ravel's 'Bolero' was almost as bad: twelve minutes of silence, followed by five minutes of music. he next piece, Wagner's 'Ride of the Walkyrie,' was pretty good from start to finish. I should have known that this was too good to last.

The last piece on the program was "'Pelude to the afternoon of a Faun', another example of big bucks paid for long stretches of silence. I get it that deer are not very loud, but Symphony Hall is not a forest. Writing music about animals that make no sound makes no logical sense.

I shall write letters to Mr. Haydn and Mr. Debussy.about their unforgivable chutzpah first thing tomorrow morning. Fortunately, I can get a good night's sleep first, as I live right next to a very quiet airport.

Mrs. Stoandeff

General Features Archive

Paulh

11.11.19 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A87955131

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more