Post Quiz for Time Travellers: How to Use the Telephone in 1899

1 Conversation

Post Quiz for Time Travellers: How to Use the Telephone in 1899

We've all been there. You just got out of your tardis, and you need to make a phone call. Unfortunately, your mobile says 'Out of Area'. Here are some handy hints from the Bell Telephone Company in 1899. See how many of these basic rules you know.

Fill in the blanks.

  1. Press the telephone firmly to the _____.
  2. Always hang up the telephone (with the ear-piece down) after finishing a conversation; otherwise, ________________________________________ and you cannot be heard.
  3. Operators are required to be _________ under all circumstances; please extend to them the same consideration.
  4. Do not use the telephone during a ______________.
  5. The use of ____________________ language through the telephone is forbidden.
  6. The use of the telephone is limited to the _____________, his ___________ or his ____________ in his interest.
  7. Difficulties with the service experienced by some subscribers are due to the use of __________ … and other unauthorized attachments.
  8. The Company [cannot] guarantee the permanency of….numbers. Subscribers are therefore advised not to ___________________.
  9. The tolls for all long-line conversations, by whomsoever made, will be charged to the subscriber at whose station they originate. Subscribers to protect themselves from loss must see ____________________________________________.
  10. The mail is quick, the telegraph is quicker, but the telephone is _________________.

The answers to this quiz are also quick. Just click below.

Southern Bell Logo 1899
Click for answers.
Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

04.03.19 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87932307

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more