Post Quiz: What's the Holiday About?

0 Conversations

Post Quiz: What's the Holiday About?

This week, people in England celebrate Guy Fawkes Day in remembrance of a famous terrorist plot. In 1605. Do you know these other historically-based holidays? Answer the questions to prove you're a real history buff.

  1. Let's start with an easy one. The French celebrate the day when the citizenry had had enough, and stormed the Bastille. What day is that?
  2. What historical event is commemorated on Easter Monday?
  3. On 18 February next year, Americans will celebrate George Washington's birthday. Why is that weird?
  4. Forty days after Easter, Austrians (among others) celebrate Ascension Day. Who did what on this day?
  5. In Iceland, the first Monday in August is Verslunarmannahelgi. What are they celebrating?
  6. Everybody else celebrates Halloween on 31 October. In Ireland, where it started, they have the last Monday in October off. What is the name of this auspicious holiday?
  7. Defence of the Fatherland (Motherland) Day in Russia is 23 February. What did it used to be called?
  8. 30 April is Walpurgisnacht, which in addition to being a big witch-y holiday, is a public holiday in Sweden. What was significant about it in medieval Sweden?
  9. In Israel, there's a solemn holiday called the Fast of the Ninth of Av. What does it commemorate?
  10. The Chinese festival of Chung Yeung is held on the ninth day of the ninth lunar month. What legendary event explains this tradition?

Want answers? Click the picture.

Click for answers.
Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

05.11.18 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87921363

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more