The Wave Breaks

1 Conversation

The Wave Breaks

A near-death experience involving a lime-green fish and some pastry

The wave broke over my head. I was immersed in a saltsea swirl.

My brain exploded into visions.

Several recipes for blackberry and apple crumble, each with a secret ingredient, appeared behind my eyes.

I encountered an absurd lime green fish which spoke only in incomprehensible bubbly whispers.

If this was my farewell, I was unimpressed.

I expected at least one angel. Or even a cosmic realisation.

What use was blackberry and apple crumble to me now?

Eventually I surfaced.

The naked sun worshippers on the beach hadn't even looked up.

They'd surely have rescued me if I was drowning.

More lime green fishes and pastry

It turned out I was underwater for less than twenty seconds.

The wave was in fact tiny. To a surfer it would have looked like a ripple.

It appeared without warning from out of an otherwise calm sea.

Later, I imagined the write up in the paper.

'Middle aged English lady rescued from a freak wave on a Tenerife nudist beach.'

Hopefully they would have spared the photographs.

I have tried to make sense of the incident over the last few years.

I have spoken sternly to my higher self, requesting significant insights should my life flash before me again.

However, just the other day I was swimming in the sea and I remembered the lime green fish.

It made me laugh so much I almost went under another wave.

The laughter was a tonic. At last I understood! Why the weighty search for meaning?

('Quite so!' agreed the fish in an almost incomprehensible bubbly whisper.)

Café Dreams Archive

Cactuscafe

16.10.17 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A87896641

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more